Mavericks regularly corrupts the file system

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by 2013gaet, Sep 17, 2014.

1. 2013gaet macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a 2010 Macbook Pro, 13" with a 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo. I have OS X Mavericks, along with a copy of Windows 8 on my bootcamp partition.

I have a recurring problem, which happened three times already. It started in July. So I turned the computer on (after it beeing turned off normally), and I was just blocked on the booting screen, i.e the gray screen with the apple (but no loading wheel). So I had no other choice but to press the on/off button for several seconds, until the computer turned off.

Then I tried to turn it on again, and it started in safe boot mode. When the loading bar was full, it would turn off on its own.

I tried to use the Disk repair utility in the recovery partition, but it displayed a message like "Disk cannot be repaired, reinstall Mac OS"

Fortunately, I have my Windows partition, which I could still boot on. So I was able to backup almost all the data I needed. I said almost, because with some files, the copy-paste process would just fail, telling me that the files were corrupted.

I then reinstalled Mavericks from scratch, and it worked perfectly... for three weeks. then I had the exact same problem. Same problem, same solution, I again lost a lot of time backing up and reinstalling, again losing some data on the road.

And back to the present, today, guess what, same problem ! So I am getting a bit tired of that, and given that college has started, I really don't have time to waste every three weeks for fixing that.

I would be really glad and thankful if you could help me with that issue.

Thank you,

Gaetan

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Sounds as if you have something that is either a hard drive failing like a old Hollywood death or a program/service that is not compatible with Mavericks. Use the freeware application EtreCheck because it will show in red the incompatible programs/services and the path to manually delete those incompatible services/programs. Then reboot.