Mavericks Ruined My Mac

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Cergman, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

I've had my 15" rMBP for about 7 months. It has worked very well for me, and I have had very few issues up until this point. I've backed up all my data, and clean restored my Mac to the new OS X Mavericks.

With this new upgrade, not only did I get very few new features, but tons of new issues. Beach ball constantly appearing, system hangs, applications constantly crashing, and generally poor performance. Most tasks requiring heavy graphics usage have been very choppy on Mavericks, compared to running smooth as butter on Mountain Lion.

My question is, has anyone else been having a significant performance decrease with Mavericks? It seems like the cons far outweigh the pros of this update.

2. rasneu macrumors newbie

I have also experienced a significant decrease in graphics performance on Mavericks. The first time i noticed this was in BioShock Infinite, which ran smooth on Mountain Lion.. I really hope some future updates will improve the performance :S

3. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

Interesting. I upgraded last week and have since restored the carbon copy cloner image I made before the upgrade. My issues were more to do with networking (cisco VPN client for work, issues copying 50+ gig between machines, silly things like the folding@home control node taking forever to see the MBP is up & available) than graphics performance.

I'm content to wait until the next dot release and try it again.

4. Foss macrumors 6502

Foss

I have a late 2012 15" rMBP with same RAM and SSD. I've seen none of your issues and my upgrade has been very good overall. Did you try a clean install? I suspect you have some other processes in the background that's killing your CPU.

5. throttlemeister macrumors 6502a

Sorry to hear of your issues. I too have a first gen rmbp and all I can say is I have none of your issues. Mavericks is faster for me, better performance, better battery life, better everything. I didn't even clean install, just upgraded my ML install. Which itself was an upgrade of Lion before that. To me, Mav is to ML what SL was for Leopard.

6. B744748 macrumors newbie

Installed Mavericks (upgrade from ML) last night on my 2010 MBA 13'' and so far I had the following issues;

1) during the install it appeared to be hanging at times, making the install incredibly slow (over 2 hours!)
    2) when I wake up the computer I get a totally scrambled screen which take one or two seconds to recover
    3) Time Machine could not find my external hard disk (hooked up to my AirPort Extreme) but this could also be related to the new AirPort Extreme I hooked up yesterday as well.
    4) when I press the on/off button on my laptop, I get a black screen and not the usual menu asking me if I want to restart, shut down, sleep or log out.
    5) clicking on a link in an email (using the standard Mail program) doesn't always work and sometimes nothing happens.

p.s. Dweez, are you from TFMR?

7. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

for me the first few dps were a lot faster and more stable, just with some obvious glitches which once gone seemed to migrate the os into a buggy, unstable mess.

Seems like apple loves moving bugs to different areas. they really are losing it.

8. Cergman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cergman

Yep, my install was clean.

9. damidget macrumors regular

Maybe try to reinstall ML and wait for 10.9.1 or something

10. Cergman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cergman

Can't directly downgrade without fresh restore, and I just got finished moving over my stuff. I guess I will just live with it now, but it seems that no one with the same Mac is having the issues that I am, so could it possibly be a hardware issue?

11. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Curious why you use the Cisco VPN client rather than the built-in one (on any version)

12. metier macrumors member

The client I think he is talking about is the Cisco Anyconnect client which uses ssl instead of IPSec which is the direction Cisco is going.

13. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

Yes, the AnyConnect client which was dictated by my employer.

14. mmp1964 macrumors newbie

Yes. Mavericks is a disaster on my Macbook (Core 2 Duo). The exact same symptoms you describe. I have 4GB of RAM and it is constantly using 3.5GB - 3.99GB to run a few applications - iTunes, Mail, Safari. A mess of an upgrade. If I have to wipe and start over to revert to Mountain Lion, I will NOT be a happy camper.

15. Cergman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cergman

I ALWAYS clone my SSD to an external drive whenever I update and/or clean restore. I just cloned my DMG file back on to my SSD when I realized Mavericks was such garbage, and I was up and running as if I never installed Mavericks.

16. AirThis macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I'm basically having the same issues as OP with my rmbp. The machine has a lot of UI lag now.

17. Cergman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cergman

I find it extremely weird that Apple would release an update like this that slows down a lot of user's computers. Maybe to get us to upgrade our not even a year old machines? :confused:

18. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

That sounds like you've booted Windows instead of Mavericks. Hold down the Option key when you start your Mac and select "Macintosh HD".

19. nitromac macrumors 6502

Safari takes a good 15 seconds to load now in Mavericks. It was pretty much instantaneous in Mountain Lion.