Mavericks Runs Great on Early 2008 iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by OpTic Jayex, Oct 28, 2013.

1. OpTic Jayex macrumors regular

OpTic Jayex

Runs very smoothly on my iMac. I haven't even maxed out the ram yet. I'm on 3 gb of ram and a 160 gb SSD. Early 2008 or Mid-2007 iMac users, How are your iMacs doing in Mavericks?

2. Stewart21 macrumors regular

Absolutely fine on Mid 2007 iMac.

3. mzd macrumors 6502a

ditto.

4. OpTic Jayex thread starter macrumors regular

OpTic Jayex

Does it lag on your machine?

5. kirsch92 macrumors member

Working well on 2008 iMac, 4 gig Ram, original hard drive.
    Had considered upping RAM to 6gig, but not sure the cost is worth it. I was waiting for Mavericks to come out to see how well the new memory management worked, and meanwhile the cost of a 4gig stick kept creeping up, $92 now.

Still getting page outs, but memory pressure seems aright, and the OS is doing a way better job releasing inactive ram than ML ever did.
    Performance much more acceptable.

I think an SSD is probably all I need to whip the old dog into shape and get another 5 years out of it.;)

Kinda sucks the new iMovie is too much for the HD 2600 graphics card though.

All in all, pretty happy with Mavericks.

6. mzd macrumors 6502a

so far the only thing that seems slower than normal is launching System Preferences. i'm coming from Lion, btw. i haven't noticed much else, but i've only had it a short while now. i'll update if i come across anything else.

7. Mike Oxard macrumors 6502a

Mike Oxard

It's very good on my 2008 2.8GHz c2d with a Samsung 840 SSD.

----------

I've got it working, I just copied it across for my 2009 MBP. Another way to do it is to click on the "update in an hour" option in the MAS and it should download. Have a look at the Apple forums, there are a few threads on the topic.

8. aggri1 macrumors 6502

I'm not game to put it on my 2010 27" based on how laggy and unresponsive my friend's 2011 15" MacBook Pro became with it. Perhaps I should have done a clean install...

9. kirsch92 macrumors member

Yeah, I'm not too worried about how to get it so much as how it runs. You have the same machine it sounds like. Does the new imovie run slow without an openCl card?
    I have to pay for it since I'd be coming from the iLife 09 imovie.

10. OpTic Jayex thread starter macrumors regular

OpTic Jayex

I just don't know if i want to max out my ram. I think i might just go to 4 gbs and then leave it.

11. Mike Oxard macrumors 6502a

Mike Oxard

I've not used it that much as there are some features I needed that it has dropped or aren't working. It won't record video being passed through a MiniDV camcorder from a Hi8 camcorder, even though it looks like it should work.

Have a look at the Apple forums discussions, there are more "power" users over there, a lot of them aren't happy with the feature stripping Apple has done, similar to all the other iLife and iWork apps.

----------

I've 4GB, it seems fine though the computer doesn't get heavy use, mostly my son playing Minecraft and watching Minecraft video's on YouTube (I think I need to improve my parenting skills!) I wanted it for iMovie for the bigger screen over my MBP, and the 6-pin FW port to connect my camera.