Mavericks + Safari focus issues

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Squishy Tia, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Squishy Tia macrumors regular

Squishy Tia

I've been playing around with Safari in Mavericks, and I've found that when I'm not constantly scrolling and I start reading something for more than about a minute, the app loses focus. This seems to coincide with app nap kicking in.

By losing focus I mean just that - by all appearances the window is still in the foreground, but all keyboard input is ignored until the mouse is clicked to "force" the window back into the foreground. This gets very aggravating when I'm trying to read a long dissertation or some complex stuff on the web (or something longer than two paragraphs), as I have to reach over to my mouse just to get my scrolling back.

The OS should not be stealing focus on its own like this and preventing keyboard input. Has anybody seen this behaviour and/or found a workaround to this?

It truly is frustrating beyond belief.

2. RabidMacFan macrumors regular

I'm not experiencing this. Possible 3rd party app conflict? Does it still say "Safari" next to the Apple icon in the menu bar when this happens?

3. Squishy Tia thread starter macrumors regular

Squishy Tia

Yes, Safari is still denoted by the Apple menu icon. That's how I know it's still technically the foreground app. I made sure to try this in safe mode too and ended up with the same results.

The scroll wheel doesn't lose focus because it never needed focus - just has to have the mouse pointer over a window and the scroll wheel affects that window specifically. Keyboard input though does require a window be in the direct foreground to work, and with only the Finder and Safari running this still happens constantly.

It's the most annoying behaviour I've ever seen in OS X, even more so than Lion's autosave/resumes.

4. Nanasaki macrumors 6502

Nanasaki

Yes... When I scroll, i notice the words been fuzzy for about a second then back to normal.

5. Squishy Tia thread starter macrumors regular

Squishy Tia

That's the thing - mine aren't fuzzy. Ever. That's what makes it so frustrating. I don't have any visual clue that focus is lost until I attempt to use my keyboard, fail, and have to use the mouse to regain focus.

I suppose I could try disabling app nap for Safari and see if that solves it. If it does, then Apple needs to really allow AN to be turned off completely.

6. MeUnix macrumors 6502

If the app is in the foreground and "highlighted", I guess you could say, it shouldn't go into App Nap. This sounds like a bug, have you filed a bug report with Apple regarding this?

- Kyle

7. RabidMacFan macrumors regular

Do you have any safari extensions installed? Try uninstalling flash.

8. Squishy Tia thread starter macrumors regular

Squishy Tia

I have ClickToFlash installed to block flash until I need it. Not having flash installed makes virtually every website I view videos from worthless, especially for downloading the videos (HTML5 wrappers are a royal PITA in that regard).

I'm going to have to see if the 10.9.1 seed fixes this problem.

9. toxdoc macrumors newbie

Having the same issue

I am having this exact problem on two machines I upgraded. It is driving me insane. I can't type a whole sentence before the focus shifts from the windows I'm working in. If anybody has any suggestions I'd appreciate them because as it stands my machine is virtually unusable.

10. pguptaca macrumors newbie

Having the same issue

Safari loses focus every few minutes.
    When I have powerpoint in full view display mode, it loses focus and drops back out of full view mode.

Very annoying! Has anyone figured this out?

11. spillmrj macrumors newbie

Losing focus

I am suddenly losing focus when I use Safari and Microsoft Word and Numbers. I can type a few letters then I suddenly get that annoying sound and have to click the mouse back where I was before. I hate it. What can I do?

12. MaxHedrm macrumors newbie

I've been having this same issue for quite a while. Did anyone narrow down the cause? I wouldn't be surprise if it was something 3rd party, but it would be nice to know where to start looking.

13. dmarnel macrumors newbie

I'm also seeing this issue regularly and it is extremely frustrating. I have not been able to pin it to any specific application that is running.

14. MaxHedrm macrumors newbie

Mine still does it with Yosemite too. I guess I may have to just do a clean install eventually. :-/ *sigh*