Mavericks Safari Youtube Videos only 360p?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by SSD-GUY, Dec 8, 2015.

1. SSD-GUY macrumors 6502a

Hi all

I understand that Safari on Mavericks only supports up to 720p, and do get 1080p/4K etc you need to upgrade to Yosemite, however, only 10.9.5 machine, I only get unto 360p.

Now here's the weird part, if I set Safari to private browsing, the 720p option becomes available (as well as 240p)

Does anyone here know of a fix? I'm on the latest version of Safari available for Mavericks as there are no more updates remaining.

Thanks

2. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Try this: In Preferences > Privacy, under "Cookies and other website data" hit Details, select youtube.com, and hit Remove.

3. jerwin macrumors 65816

Some years ago, I had flipped on a Debug optiopn in Safari which essentially disabled anything over 720p. Couldn't figure out what was causing it-- chalked it up to having an old machine, and used firefox when I had a need for higher resolution video.
    The bug then followed me to my iMac 5K. At which point, I stated going over those preferences with a fine toothed comb.

I would suggest making a new account-- even one of those Guest accounts, and view a Youtube video--- see you can get high resolution graphics.

Also, check out https://www.youtube.com/html5

This is my result with OSX 10.11.
    Screen Shot 10.png

You could always change the user agent to something akin to Firefox's--IIRC, that lets youtube use the flash player.

4. SSD-GUY thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your replies. I have managed to fix it.

Firstly, I cannot update to the latest version of OS X due to certain programmes that I use (statistical analysis) only being supported at Mavericks at the moment with the licence I've paid for. Anyhow, let's get on to the fix.

Firstly, I made sure I had the latest security updates installed. This allowed YouTube to display at 720P within Safari and using the HTML5 player, however after a restart, the options were gone.

Therefore, I clicked reset Safari, by clicking safari in the menu bar, then clicking 'reset safari'.

I'm happy to report, Youtube at 720p now works.