Mavericks says "Battery Repair"!

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by shlores, Sep 25, 2013.

1. shlores macrumors newbie

Hi everyone... again!

Still trying the new DP8, but today I found that, when I click on the battery status icon in the top bar, it says something like "Battery repair" (sorry, I'm translating from Spanish, so I don't know how it appears in English), and then, "battery charged".

I've tried to click on this option, which is supposed to take me to a help screen, but nothing appears (this page is not currently available).

The point is that yesterday I used my 2009 Macbook outside home with no charger, and it only lasted 2 hours and a half... so I thought something was wrong.

Does anyone know what this mean? What should I do?

Thanks in advance

Salva

2. drew627 macrumors regular

Perhaps it's just saying that it's time to replace your battery? Two hours isn't that short considering it's a 2009 model. Plus you could have been running Flash or some other energy-consuming application.

3. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

That message is not unique to Mavericks. Your battery is simply dying. Either replace it or live with it.

4. shlores thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, guys...

As it was the first time I saw this message, I was a little bit worried. But as you say, maybe it's time to replace my battery to extend its use.

Thanks for your quick answer!

5. jg321 macrumors 6502

6. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

In my experience the OSX battery warning comes up a bit sooner than necessary, your battery life is lower but it seems the battery is still usable.

So it's up to you whether you want to replace it now, or keep using your old one for a little while longer.

7. MeUnix macrumors 6502

As other members have said, this feature is not unique to Mavericks. OS X gives you a heads up when it is about time for your battery to be replaced by their standards. I've recently replaced the battery in my MacBook, but before that I used the original battery for 630 cycles(yes, my battery life sucked, only getting about 1-2 hours off each full charge), which is way above the cycle count that Apple quotes. My battery status said "Service Battery" for months before I finally did.

Another way you may be able to get a little more juice out of your battery is by resetting the SMC. If you don't know how to do so, you can check how to do it here.

8. vanc macrumors 6502

I also have a 2009 MBP. Battery life is about 80% left. Even Mountain Lion warns me for battery service. Just ignore it and it can still run for a couple of hours for lightweight work load.

----------

I never reset SMC on any of my Macs. May worth to do on my old MBP.

9. tarasis macrumors 6502a

tarasis

replace the battery. I need to do the same, my cycles are down to 30-50% of the original (it fluctuates), currently its at 30% (1708mAh)

10. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

This just happened to me after clean install of Mavericks; 30 minutes ago, on SL, battery was fine.

This also happened before when I updated from SL to Lion....

Does Apple want you to buy a new battery every time you update the OS? :mad:

BTW, didn't happen with Mavericks DP.