Mavericks Security & Privacy empty dialogue box freezes machine many times daily.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by MetroHopper, Sep 17, 2014.

1. MetroHopper macrumors newbie

Sep 17, 2014
    MacPro freezes owing to Security & Privacy control panel, plays unsavory clicking music.

I have to re-boot my Map Pro several times daily. It is running 10.9.4 (Mavericks, which has wrecked no fewer than four Intel machines in under two years; I would go for YEARS on a single (Power)Mac publishing magazines and editing books. Now I have three (Intel) Macs (with at least one at all times in the repair shop; SquareTrade has paid me a few grand to refund its fees as well as to pay for Macs purchased via eBay) and it appears that the problem has to do with the start-up utility in Security & Privacy.

Every time I boot, I get a blank dialogue window showing the Sec & Privacy icon. If I don't immediately cancel, the machine just cycles with its spinning beachball.

If I cancel the blank dialogue window (which I wish I could submit a screenshot), the machine runs for a couple of hours before it inevitably starts up its swan song of hard drive clicking—no matter whether I am running a Web browser, InDesign, Word or even nothing. The only resolution is a hard re-boot.

Has anyone any solid advice as to why the Sec & privacy (as well as other such password-demanding dialogue boxes, none of which I use regularly) come up with no text? And why Mavericks seems so unstable with respect to all this?

2. initialsBB macrumors 6502a

Oct 18, 2010
    It's unclear wether you are getting this message in System Preferences or during the Mac's boot phase. What are your Security & Privacy settings ? Do you have FileVault turned on ? Or is there an EFI password at boot ?

You could try applying an OS X Combo update (10.9.4 here, and 10.9.5 here) which may help repair a borked OS X install.
    Your problem could also be indicative of hard disk drive problems. Have you tried installing OS X on another drive ?

Mavericks was released in october 22nd 2013, making it less a year old.

When you have a stable work system, best practise is to not update at all before extensive testing.
  3. MetroHopper thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 17, 2014
    Thanks! I'll look into the software and hard drive solution possibilities.