Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigeasy_uk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2005
Leamington Spa, England
Hi all,

Just needed to vent while sitting waiting for Mavericks to reinstall.

I ran the security update and everything seemed to be going fine, it rebooted to the grey screen with a progress bar. After the bar is filled about 5% it moves on to the spinning gear, then turns off! I try turning it on a few times and the same thing happens again and again. I open up the repair partition and disk utility says the drive can't be repaired! I have to wipe it and reinstall.

I'm still waiting for it to download, 1h25m to go.

GRRRR!

I only just posted on another thread how well mavericks is working too!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
It is very very unlikely an OS update like that would cause your drive to go into a state where it cannot be repaired without a reformat. What is more likely is you have a drive that is dying and the stress of a system update pushed it over the edge.

If you are able to get Mavs up and running you might want to do frequent disk verifies in Disk Utility to keep an eye on it. Hopefully you have a good backup.

bigeasy_uk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2005
Leamington Spa, England
It is very very unlikely an OS update like that would cause your drive to go into a state where it cannot be repaired without a reformat. What is more likely is you have a drive that is dying and the stress of a system update pushed it over the edge.

If you are able to get Mavs up and running you might want to do frequent disk verifies in Disk Utility to keep an eye on it. Hopefully you have a good backup.

It's not an old computer, it's a 2012 rmbp, so I'd hope the ssd isn't failing! I've got AppleCare on it so not that fussed. It doesn't store any important information either, so I'm lucky in that respect I guess. My guess is that the update got corrupted somehow, but I'll run some diagnostics once it's back up and running, 25 mins to go.

bigeasy_uk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2005
Leamington Spa, England
The re-install went fine.
I've ran a diagnostic on the SSD and it came back fine, so the update itself must have been corrupted or it corrupted something during its install.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.