Mavericks Server Upgrade

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Swytch, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Swytch macrumors regular

I want to turn one of my Macs with Mountain Lion into a server, but I now Mavericks will be coming out soon and I will want to upgrade.

Does anyone know if I buy the current OSX Server Upgrade (for Mountain lion) now, will I have to pay again for the Mavericks OSX Server Upgrade?

I know I will need to buy the Mavericks OS, but am hoping either server upgrades are free or there is a buying grace period, otherwise I will wait and buy both Maverick OS and Mavericks Server when they are release.

Havent been able to find any info on what the case was for Lion to Mountain Lion Server.

Thanks,

2. AlanShutko macrumors 6502a

In my purchases, I seem to have an "OS X Lion Server"and one called "OS X Server" (which is mountain lion). It's possible they'll rename the old one and have people buy it again, or it's possible they'll just let you upgrade. It's hard to guess.

If I had to wager, I'd think they'll have a new item in the app store when Mavericks comes out, because that will allow them to continue to release updates to ML server to fix bugs and security problems. That would mean you'd need to purchase again.

I'd recommend waiting, personally.

3. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

If you are serious about OS X Server and don't need the new Mavericks server features, I'd recommend just setting up the current Server.app with Mountain Lion. Server.app just had an update. Keep this at least until Mavericks 10.9.1 and the first Mavericks Server.app update. The first releases are always problematic.

If you are particularly interested in the new Mavericks server features, do nothing until 10.9.1 comes out.

I was running a Mac mini server with Snow Leopard Server until this summer when I upgraded it to Mountain Lion + Server. Amid all the comments that Snow Leopard Server was the epitome of OS X servers (and in many ways it is) and all the trashing of those that followed, I've found Mountain Lion + Server to be better for me. I'm glad though that I skipped Lion and even waited almost a year to go to Mountain Lion + Server after it came out.

Servers really don't need to be the "latest and greatest". It's more important that they work reliably. Even with my delays in upgrading I had problems losing connections until the 10.8.5 release. I'm unlikely to go to Mavericks server until next year.

4. Swytch, Sep 29, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2013

Swytch thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you,

I will probably Start with current Server.app now and wait for 10.9.1 as stated, but would be interested in knowing what the new features of Mavericks Server that might be worth waiting for would be, the Apple site doesnt really go into too many details on what is new, just makes it sound like things are updated. happen to have a good link handy?

5. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I know nothing other than what's at www.apple.com/osx/preview. I'm in no rush to get it!