Mavericks Shutdown time vs. Mountain Lion

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by BasicGreatGuy, Oct 5, 2013.

1. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

When I was running Mountain Lion, my shutdown time (MBP 2011) was close to 30 seconds. On occasions, it would be as much as 45 seconds.

With Mavericks GM, my shutdown time has been around 13 seconds or a little less.

Anyone else notice an improvement in this area?

2. satcomer, Oct 5, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2013

satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Same on 2008 Dual Mac Pro. Looks like someone in Apple fixed this.

3. cookies! macrumors 6502

Yep, shutdown occurs almost instantly on my MBA 2013 now.

4. MeUnix macrumors 6502

On my Late '08 Alu MacBook the shutdown time is much better. With Mountain Lion is was taking about 30 seconds for shutdown, now with Mavericks it is about 10-15 seconds.

5. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

2007 mbp with maverick took 2 to 3 min to shut down. :apple:

6. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Sleep in Mavericks is also way faster. A tap of the Power button on my MBP goes straight to sleep, instead of the choice to sleep, restart, or shut down. :D

7. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Of the 4 times I've shutdown/restarted, I haven't seen the spinning gear once. It's not an instant shutdown but a lot quicker than what it was with Mountain Lion.

8. Spacial macrumors 6502

True.

In fact after reading your post I timed it on my 2012 MBP w/retina. Before it took around 40 sec with Mountain Lion, now it's an amazing 6 secs.

9. wankey macrumors 6502a

Why the hell do people care about shut down time in this day and age.

Not only does it mess up your work flow, it wastes extra time. With technologies like deep sleep (basically hibernate) and sleep, what's the point of shutting down?

I haven't shut down my computer since I bought it (other than rebooting to install updates)

It just baffles my mind that you guys have to "clean up" your work, save it all, so that you can shut it down and save what, 3 cents a day off your power bill?

Deep sleep is basically shut down, so I am even more baffled by you people.

10. gglittle macrumors regular

Agreed, the speed of shutdown/startup is

For nearly all of the 40 years I've been writing code, I must admit the least thing I was ever concerned about was how fast startup/shutdown occurred. The first thing I do when I get to the office is wake my system by either moving the mouse or pressing on/off, grab my coffee cup, go get a cup of coffee, stop at the men's room, check out any donuts, and head back to the office. Goodness, my system was up and running, seemingly instantaneously, minus the time warp for coffee, pee, and donut. In the evening the process was to tell the system to shut up and leave. Goodness, when I got back the next morning the system had indeed shut up.

About the only time I have ever been concerned about startup or shutdown was/is when the code I was writing became recalcitrant and hindered the process. Then I fixed the code and went back to the time warp theory.

11. BasicGreatGuy thread starter Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Not everyone can, or wants to leave his or her Mac open and running 24/7, due to a variety of reasons.

No need for anyone's mind to be baffled by the aforementioned fact.

12. gglittle macrumors regular

Goo'ness ...

I can remember when you NEVER/EVER used the power on/off button because it took hours, at least two mag tape loads and possibly several 10 megabyte hard disks to restart. I can also remember the "improved" startup process, having to press POWER, wait for the CPU to start, insert a cassette tape, key in sixteen 16 bit words using a 16 bit switch panel, press RESET, press START, and insert the 10 megabyte hard disk when the teletype typed "INSERT VOL I".

Really, I never ever worried about how fast the computer started or stopped ...

Goo'ness ... laptops and computers today are simply SOOOO boring ...

13. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

I've noticed an improvement with Mavericks similar to what the OP mentioned. Nothing has ever beaten Lion's shutdown time which has been almost always instantaneous for me.

14. Futurix macrumors 6502

Futurix

It's not just the shutdown - reboots are also affected, which in turn slows down Bootcamp. That's my main reason why I want faster shutdowns.

15. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

Started shutting my MBA down for the weekend for work because the battery life was taking a hit sleeping.

That is why.
    See there are reasons people have other than your cure all for the world.

16. MacReloaded, Oct 6, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2013

MacReloaded macrumors 6502

MacReloaded

It looks like all they did was turn off the display earlier before the shutdown procedure is complete. When rebooting, the display turns off and there is a long delay (~10 seconds) where the fans are still running before the boot chime and the display is on again.

17. Manic Harmonic macrumors 6502

On my MBP, Shutdown time is an average of 10 seconds as opposed to 30-45 seconds. Much better than Ml, but still not faster than SL which was usually immediate. I haven't installed Mavericks on anything else yet.

18. GP-SE macrumors 6502

shutdown time is much better for me compared to 10.8, however boot up is a lot slower, the spinning wheel spins for a longer time now. Any idea how I can get my fast boot up speeds back?

19. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

google the prelinked-caches terminal commands and make sure the correct drive is set in prefs/startup drive.

20. GP-SE macrumors 6502

startup drive is correct, still much slower than mountain lion for me

21. Lolito macrumors 6502

Lolito

in my machine, shutdown takes 5 seconds. boot up takes 20 seconds. I have an ssd, but i think this is faster than snow leopard.

still, there's a bug with the wifi, and i have to re-select the wifi network after every reboot... anyways, i hardly ever reboot. most of the time i make it sleep, but still, this is awesome!!! ;-)

22. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Oh my god! You wasted 30000000000 nanoseconds of your life! Big waste of time, if you ask me.

23. Squuiid macrumors 6502a

The Mac mini 2012 I 'upgraded' to Mavericks was a bit faster to shut down than it was under ML. Then I 'clean installed' it and it is now lightning fast, even after installing all the same apps it had before.
    I really do think a clean install is more than a 'placebo' as some like to call it.

If you're seeing slow shutdowns and indeed bootup times under Mavericks, CLEAN INSTALL. You'll be pleasantly surprised and it will be worth the extra effort of spring cleaning and reinstalling your apps.

24. EltonT macrumors member

EltonT

It's an even bigger waste of time with 3.0 × 10^13 picoseconds on my watch's pico-second hand.

25. ScottishCaptain macrumors 6502a

I don't get that either.

But the fact is rather simple- the "slow shutdown" bug people were experiencing was being caused by a bunch of processes that hung when you tried to shut them down. This caused launchd to wait a 20 second timeout period before it would forcibly kill those processes and continue with the shutdown.

This wasn't a case of "the computer is taking 1 minute to shut down and doing important things in the meantime". This was a case of "something has gone horribly wrong and now launchd has to kill those processes because they won't quit nicely".

In other words, something was broken before. It has now been fixed.

-SC