Mavericks Slow Boot ?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Washac, May 27, 2014.

1. Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

Why is Mavericks sooo slow to boot, is it just Mavericks being Mavericks ?

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Old Startup Items it can no longer find, old Startup Items that have been updated for Mavericks yet or ever, a plugin that has to look something up on the Internet before it allows the next boot up sequence.

These are just some problems face boot up slowness.

3. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

Check your login items & see what runs. Personally I found it booted quicker, but I did do a clean install vs upgrading.

4. Quackers macrumors 6502a

After updating to 10.9.3 I needed to re-select Macintosh HD as the startup disk (in System Preferences > Startup Disk) and rebooted from that screen.
    This seems to have speeded up booting by about 25 seconds.

5. coldwaves macrumors regular

I have SSD and boot in Mavericks is pretty fast. I don't see much difference in booting speed in Snow Leopard, Lion, Moutain Lion and Mavericks. However, the shut down speed in Mavericks is pretty slow. The best shutting down speed I have is in Snow Leopard. Mountain Lion and Lion are similar and Mavericks is just a little bit slower compared to Mountain Lion.

6. hologram macrumors 6502

I upgraded from 10.8.5 to 10.9.3 a couple of weeks ago (on an early 2008 iMac with 4gb ram), and the boot times are much faster.

I don't have to reboot nearly as much as I did in ML, but when I do, I'm surprised at how fast it loads, and that includes loading a number of startup items and extensions.

I ran a small app called EtreChek http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/48217/etrecheck
    and it found a few launch daemons running that belonged to apps I didn't have any more. Once I got rid of those, everything sped up considerably.

7. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

That program is cool! It found so many old Extensions and sped me up even faster. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

8. hologram macrumors 6502

9. crewchief227 macrumors newbie

I run 10.9.3 on a new late 2013 rMBP with 256ssd and 8gb ram and I can boot in 9 seconds. I timed it three times just to make sure it wasn't unusual.:D