Mavericks slowly falling apart on newly installed SSD

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Scully77, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Scully77 macrumors newbie

I own a Macbook Pro 15" Early 2011. I've recently purchased a Samsung 840 EVO 120 GB Solid State drive. I also purchased an Optibay drive caddy so I am able to install my OS and applications on the SSD and use the original HDD as storage. After finally figuring out that I had to take the drive out of the optibay caddy to actually have the OSX mavericks install on it, I start to install my software on it and the weirdest thing happens: after a few hours of use on the fresh Mavericks install on the SSD, my fans start running at >6000 RPM and everything seems to be corrupted. I was unable to open most applications, and was unable to delete files/applications from Finder. Also, the icons in the dock looked like static on a TV. (https://www.dropbox.com/s/xslyh8yr5p7sebv/Photo Oct 27, 9 02 34 PM.jpg)
    Obviously corrupted somehow. So luckily I still had my OSX Mavericks installed on my other hard drive that was in the primary spot. So I booted to that HDD, erased the SSD in disk utility, and re-installed Mavericks on the SSD once more. Again, after a few hours of work the same symptoms were occuring. So again I erased the SSD. After experiencing this, I naturally thought something was wrong with the SSD drive. So I gave Samsung a call to see if I could have it replaced, and the guy there told me to use TRIM enabler. (http://www.groths.org/software/trimenabler/) he said that may solve my issues. I wanted to post on here to see what you guys think, because I'm really tired of having to take my SSD out of my laptop and deal with this. I use my computer for school and work, so it's really hard to be out of commission for even a few hours. Do you think I should try to get Samsung to replace the drive? Do you think TRIM enabler will fix my issues? Should I install an earlier version of OSX on the SSD? Thanks in advance.

2. glasshead13 macrumors member

are you putting the ssd in the optidrive bay? I seem to remember when I was setting up my optibay years ago that the SSD (with the OSX install) had to be in the main HDD slot, and then you could relocate the HDD to the optibay for your additional storage. Don't know if anything ever changed, but pretty sure that was causing a lot of install problems for people who tried to install the OS onto the SSD and put it in the optibay. Something about OS X not looking to that sata port as the boot drive or something.

3. Scully77 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's gotta be it. Do you think there would be a negative effect on the HDD in the optibay slot? Isn't there some sort of motion sensors and shock protectors for the HDD's in the primary spot on the macbooks?

4. glasshead13 macrumors member

well would you rather have a running computer, or problems just to have a shock sensor?

5. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

Only the 2012 MacBook pro's have a Sata3 cable in the obti-drive. Putting an SSD in there would botch the performance on your 2011 model.

And you'll have to do some research whether or not the sensor drop protection carries over to the opti-drive. I don't think it does, but I did read most HDD's have them built in nowadays.

6. Scully77 thread starter macrumors newbie

haha, true. Thanks for the reassurance :D

----------

Well the weird thing was it was running pretty quick when it was in the opti-drive spot. But I guess I shouldn't worry too much about the shock sensor. Thanks!

7. vitaflo macrumors member

Not true, I have the same MBP as the OP and run my SSD on the optical bay and have been for over a year now. I had no problems with it at all until I updated to 10.8.5. With that update Apple did something funky with power savings. After a while my Mac would become unresponsive and I wouldn't be able to launch apps, etc. This is even if I set the computer to not go to sleep at all. I had to revert to 10.8.4 in order to fix it. And no, switching the SSD to the primary HD slot did not fix the issue.

My guess is Mav uses the same techniques as 10.8.5 in this instance and is causing the issues. I even updated my SSD firmware to see if I could rectify the situation but it did not. So I'll just use 10.8.4 until I get a new Mac. No biggie.

8. ls1dreams macrumors 6502

Are you saying that even a regular old HDD isn't working properly in the optibay in Mavericks?

I just bought an SSD, with the plan to run the SSD in the normal hard drive slot in the macbook, and move the old HDD to the optical bay area.

9. glasshead13 macrumors member

actually it is true, there are many reports of problems with an ssd in the optibay especially when waking from sleep. just because you aren't experiencing this problem does not make it not true. look the problem up, i don't think a bunch of people would be reporting a problem that doesn't happen. also doesn't mean it happens 100% of the time.

10. guitarman777 macrumors regular

guitarman777

Technically, having the SSD in the HD bay would be better than the optical bay as it's a faster SATA connection, allowing for more real-world results of the speed increase of the SSD.