Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tunerX

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
For me SMB2 can be used to mount shared drives and start copy operations but will fail about 99 percent of the way through saying the file is in use.

I have read problems that SMB2 fails to mount some network shares. My shares mount but copy/move/rename/delete operations fail.

Switching to SMB1 allows me to complete all functions.

nzalog

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
For me SMB2 can be used to mount shared drives and start copy operations but will fail about 99 percent of the way through saying the file is in use.

I have read problems that SMB2 fails to mount some network shares. My shares mount but copy/move/rename/delete operations fail.

Switching to SMB1 allows me to complete all functions.

Think it's a known issue, not sure what you mean by switch to smb1 (server side?) but to switch to smb1 on client side just use 'cifs://' instead of 'smb://' .

tunerX

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
switching to SMB1 would mean client side as protocol version request is initiated by the client.

On the server side I would copy/move/rename/delete through the local filesystem.

I had to keep digging in the forum to find the known workaround with using cifs: instead of smb: I normally just use the finder sidebar since all of my shares show up there and you do not get to specify a version.

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
Think it's a known issue, not sure what you mean by switch to smb1 (server side?) but to switch to smb1 on client side just use 'cifs://' instead of 'smb://' .

My time machine backs up to a shared drive connected to another mac.

Since mavericks! I am having all kinds of connection problems.

If I substitute cifs instead of smb I get an error saying "the server may not exist or is unavailable at this time..." If I connect using smb, it's fine until the machine sleeps, then it doesn't auto-reconnect after wake and the time machine backup fails again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.