Mavericks - syncing files remotely - recommendations pls

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by tigerintank, Dec 1, 2013.

1. tigerintank, Dec 1, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2013

tigerintank macrumors regular

Having got the new rMBP, I have a new enthusiasm for looking after my files outside of local disc backups.

Looking for some recommendations pls - so I don't go down the wrong route and waste a lot of time. Funds are very tight so am sticking with free for now.

I'd like to sync key documents across multiple macs - am thinking Dropbox is the way to go here?

Intel Mac - Mavericks, Snow Leopard and possibly Leopard
    +
    Possibly PPC - an old iMac with Leopard.

Appreciate Dropbox may not work with Leopard PPC/Intel

I won't be able to sync all of my files, as my dropbox account isn't large enough.

Outside of dropbox, I'm really only thinking of photos.

For those I have access to Google Drive 25G, Microsoft Skydrive 7G, Adobe Revel - Unlimited storage. I only just opened the Revel account and stopped uploading files when I realised I hadn't planned anything - quickly stopped and came here for advice?

All 3 have sufficient space for the photos, though Skydrive may only last for 12 months before it's full - who knows what MS will do in the meantime.

Note I don't have a preference for a photo editor at the moment but am starting to dabble with Aperture. I guess I could go for Lightroom if that had better storage integration - though from what Ive read there's very little integration with Revel.

Amazon Cloud and Apple iCloud don't offer me enough space at 5Gig each.
    --------------------------
    Edit
    Forgot about Fickr - see that offers 1TB. Please consider that along with Google Drive, MS Skydrive & Adobe Revel.

Also have just realised this may not be in the best forum. Mods pls move as required.

2. obdave macrumors member

You might look into Chronosync. You only need a copy on the machine that's doing the "pushing" and "pulling." It may not be quite as automatic as you want, but I use it to manually sync files between my MBA and iMac before and after travel. If you don't need to sync continually it may be a good choice for you.

Dunno if it'll run on a PPC so you'd probably install it on the rMBP.

3. tigerintank thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the reply obdave.

had a look - looks quite feature rich, but as far as I could see it was for local network backups only.

I'm really looking for an offsite capability - for those files you'd not want to lose if the house was destroyed somehow.

When I sat down and thought about it - those are mostly small file sizes, with the exception of photographs. Hence my thought of segmenting the backup into non photos and photos. Suspect i'm not that unusual.

Note i'm not backing up any work data files as my company takes care of that - if you have a lot of work stuff, I can see the relative proportions of photo/non photo being different to mine.

4. obdave macrumors member

Ah, yes, that's true. ChronoSync is not a cloud solution.

Dropbox has a web interface too so that might be an option for your older Macs. It's free for the basic service so I suppose you could see how workable that is. It won't be as seamless as the regular Dropbox but at least you can get to your files.