Mavericks system restore

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Miltz, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Miltz macrumors 6502

I have a 2013 macbook air. I plan on getting mavericks when it comes out. After I install it, will it also replace my restore files on the SSD, or will it still have mountain lion on it from when the original restore file created? So if I want to do a system restore will it do a clean install of mavericks? or will it reinstall Mountain Lion? Thank you :)

2. bwat47 macrumors regular

Afaik (anyone correct me if I'm wrong), if you do a regular upgrade from ML to Mavericks, it should update the recovery partition as well.

If you do a clean install from a usb thumbdrive which involves erasing the drive, then you will be erasing both ML and the recovery partition, and the mavericks installer should create its own recovery partition during the install (caution: certain methods of creating a mavericks USB installer can result in a recovery partition not being created, but as long as you create the usb installer with the official 'createinstallmedia' method, the installer will have everything it needs to automatically create the recovery partition during install.)

3. Miltz thread starter macrumors 6502

This is good news as it means all I have to do is download mavericks, install it as a update, and then do a recovery to get a clean install. Right? ( I want to avoid the hassle of the other methods )

4. Bear macrumors G3

That would work, but remember it has to download Mavericks when you install if from the recovery partition. Depending on the speed of your internet connection, this could take a while - this is why people want to make USB (or SG) installers.

5. Miltz thread starter macrumors 6502

I was under the impression that after you install mavericks it will replace the old OS on the system restore partition. Are you saying it doesn't do that?

6. Bear macrumors G3

It not a restoration partition, it's a recovery partition. It has some utilities local, but it doesn't have the OS X installer. For OS X, it downloads it if you need to reinstall.

7. Miltz thread starter macrumors 6502

Coming from a Windows PC, I have a lot to learn about MAC OSX. It's pretty cool that it downloads the latest version when you do a recovery. Better than windows 7 install and having to do 150-200 updates.