Mavericks to El Capitan iMac 27" Late 2009

Discussion in 'iMac' started by skrondo, Aug 8, 2016.

1. skrondo macrumors newbie

Hi!

This question torment me for months: should I upgrade from Mavericks to El Capitan with my glorious iMac 27" Late 2009?
    I've made some tweaks during years, here the info:

Processor 3,06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory 16 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    Graphics ATI Radeon HD 4670 256 MB
    Fusion Drive with Samsung MZ-7TE250BW SSD 840 EVO 250 GB + 1TB HD (this is the tweak)

I've read that time ago ElC will have problems with homemade Fusion Drive, is right? Can I reinstall from zero without troubles?
    I use graphic software (Ps, Flash), will speed up or lag?
    I use notes (on iCloud) is true that will delete all of them? Will Notes sync with my IOS 8.4 devices (iPhone, iPadmini) ?

All my best wishes for every answer ;)

2. MadDane macrumors 6502a

El Capitan works perfect with homemade Fusion Drives. I am also using a late 2009 iMac with a homemade Fusion Drive and El Capitan. So to answer your question, yes you can install from scratch and it will work. I am not sure if the computer will change in performance. I haven't noticed much of a difference over the last few years. And I am a fairly heavy user of the various Adobe programs.

I do not know anything about Notes and iCloud, but I do not believe that they will be deleted. If anything they will just be converted to the "new" kind.