Mavericks to Mountain Lion

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Angitop, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Angitop macrumors newbie

Hi!! I just purchased a used macbook pro early 2011, I am a total newbie.

I got this mac because i need to run a specific program, anyway i just read on the website that this specific program doesnt work on Mavericks, so I need to downgrade right?

Ive got a cd that has mountain Lion (copy not the original drive) and i just need to know how to do it since it doesnt work like windows, does it?

will it erase all my apps? should i back up my apps and the previous owner apps (he left some not free apps installed)

INSTALLEDS.DMG I clicked on it and it scanned it or somethng then a window opened with an icon of a lion and it says mountain lion and then two folders saying library, packages and another one that says system....

Thanks

2. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

I believe the only way to do it would be to wipe the drive and start with a blank slate. You would boot to the DVD (hold Option during boot to get the choice), then use disk utility to wipe the drive (after backing up any data you need).

As for the apps, unless the seller gave you the installation media and licensing information for the applications, they're technically illegal. The "correct" way to get them back on the computer is to reinstall them, and re-register the license on the computer.

What application is it? Have you contacted support and they said there will never be Mavericks support?

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Mountain Lion on a CD might also be pirated.

4. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

5. kolax macrumors G3

What is the application that won't work on Mavericks?

6. clukas macrumors 6502a

clukas

The only way to downgrade from Mavericks to Mountain lion is to perform a clean install. You will need to boot from the disc, erase the drive and perform a clean installation. Its essentially the same as downgrading windows. As you will be performing a clean install you will loose all your files so make sure you make a good backup.