Mavericks = Underwhelming?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by MacVault, Jun 25, 2013.

1. MacVault macrumors 65816

Am I the only one who thinks Mavericks sounds very underwhelming? The vibe from the wwdc announcement just seems like Apple is sortof lost and not sure where to go from here. Mavericks, and maybe also iOS 7, just seem like more of the same (but different) gui. I'm underwhelmed :confused:

2. adcx64 macrumors 65816

adcx64

The real emphasis in Mavericks was the under the hood improvements, like timer coalescing, and compressed memory. Ive found Mavericks to be a lot more responsive than ML and it really reminds me of the Snow Leopard days.

3. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

So you would rather they massively overhaul the GUI instead of working on performance more? Really? :confused:

4. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

They changed ios7 enough for half the forum to be endlessly, endlessly moaning about it. Imagine if they had changed more :eek:

Im bracing myself for next year when 10.10 comes out with gui changes ala ios7.

5. benwiggy macrumors 68020

I'd be more than happy if they fixed all the bugs and completed all the features that they introduced in the last two OSes. And it looks like they are making attempts to do so.

And the under-the-hood changes are going to have MASSIVE effects on battery life, CPU performance, memory usage, etc.

Snow Leopard? More of the same (but different). Tiger? More of the same (but different). Lion? More of the same (but different).

6. parlour macrumors member

After two awful buggy releases with which Apple lost its way they are finally again focusing on what’s important: Polishing OS X to perfection and fixing, fixing, fixing.

Mavericks looks to be just as awesome as Snow Leopard was. No new features (for the most part). Just better. And, to reiterate, that’s ****ing awesome.

Underwhelming? Exactly the opposite. Apple found their way again.

7. SlCKB0Y macrumors 68040

SlCKB0Y

I can understand people's gripes with Lion for the most part but Mountain Lion? No way.

I would argue that Mavericks has some of the most significant features included in OS X in a long time. It's worth it for the multiple screen handling alone.

8. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

What is underwhelming to me is iOS 7. It still looks somewhat the same and the icons are not so hot. Yeah, they will be fixed and that's great but i just don't really care too much or as much as i used to.

Mavericks is were the baby is at. I do wish apple would include live wallpapers that are in iOS 7, those look neat.

9. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

It's probably only going to cost 20-30$ what exactly do you want?

----------

That's because they made iOS7 look like its target audience is 12-16 year old girls.

10. Serban Suspended

No way, flat and simple design is more meant for stylish people.

11. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Sometime around the year 2000 all PCs (Macs - Windows - Linux) all reached the end of their initial growth explosion in terms of fundamental design.

The 20 years from 1980 - 2000 saw the home computer market change from home-made computer-club wooden boxes to fast, reliable consumer machines with an established visual language that everyone understood.

At that point upgrades changed from 'revolutions' to 'refinements.' This is normal for any industry as it matures.

So you are totally correct that Mavericks is not super exciting. But that's the same as with any laptop or desktop upgrade for the past 13 years. You're a little late with this news.

12. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

OSX already had multiple monitor support long before 10.9. It's just handled correctly now and works like it should have in Lion.

But that's ok... it'll be worth the $20 - $30 just to finally get something we've been missing.

13. parlour macrumors member

Mountain Lion was ok. Not more. Still a mess, though. Not much of an improvement.

That’s not a new feature. That’s a bug fix.

14. MartiNZ macrumors 65816

MartiNZ

A three year late bug fix, and by the looks it's not really fixed per se anyway. Also, it wasn't broken in SL lol ... just like nested sorting in Dock Stacks wasn't broken in Leopard - can I get a confirmation that that is still broken in Mavericks? e.g. a stack in list view, set to sort by kind, drill down and see that that is not respected after the top level.

15. SlCKB0Y, Jun 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2013

SlCKB0Y macrumors 68040

SlCKB0Y

No, it's not. A bug is when the intended behaviour of software does not match the actual observed behaviour of software.

Apple designed fullscreen applications/multiple monitors to function in that way in Lion and Mountain Lion. Whilst you may not like how it was designed and worked, it was not a bug.

16. SlCKB0Y macrumors 68040

SlCKB0Y

What were your issues?

17. Lolito macrumors 6502

Lolito

I kind of like Mavericks... Lookind forward to switch it from a SSD partition to the main ssd one in a couple minutes. It worked well already. Only small concern is those apps still not compatible yet. Waiting for updates on them.

I love how little space consumenes the full instalation, I don't need to disable the writing of that file for hibernation that copies the ram.

18. freedevil macrumors 6502a

freedevil

Paying $20-$30 yearly, add ups quickly.

19. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

100 US$ in 60 months (5 years) is nothing.

20. Crisis macrumors member

The scrolling improvement means A LOT to retina users like me.:)

21. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

Your mac isn't going to stop working if you don't upgrade. Just don't buy it if you don't think it's worth it.

22. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

So does a one-time purchase of a mac. :D

23. skinned66 macrumors 65816

skinned66

I'm still waiting for something other than "Aqua" or "Graphite" :rolleyes:

24. Quercus Alba macrumors member

"Jony".

25. notrack macrumors 6502

OSX Miami Vice
    Coming soon to your Mac

jk :p