Mavericks Upgrade Issue - Stuck on Set Up Loop

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by CrlsThHdghg, Oct 23, 2013.

1. CrlsThHdghg macrumors newbie

CrlsThHdghg

Hello!

So, here's the problem. I decided to update to the new Mavericks on my MacBook Pro (Late 2009 Model) today and installation was running fine, until I was hit with the infamous "Less Than a Minute Remaining" loading bar. I looked at the forums and I was recommended to restart since the update was taking far longer than others. I was waiting for the loading to be complete for a staggering six hours.

Needless to say, I restarted the computer and the set up prompt came up. I roll with the flow, until I notice that's it's asking me for my wi fi password. I assume it's just start up shenanigans until I get to the part where It asks me to recover from an external source. Then when it asked me to make an account, that's when I really began to panic. After trying to roll with the set up, it shuts down right after completion and does the process all over again.

I hold the "Option" key when restarting the computer, and I see that my Mac drive is still one of the partitions. The partitions are my main drive, my Windows partition, and the Mavericks 10.9 partition. I gleefully click on the Mac HD partition hoping that my content was not lost, but it sends me right back to the start up. I panic (again) and I decided to click on the option that says "Transfer Information to this Mac," hoping that it would pick up on my start up disk, which I can only assume that it's the hard drive partition with my info in it, but after waiting for half an hour, nothing comes up. I was a twit and I did not back up my hard drive before the update either, so what can I do to get my stuff back and try this again? Or fix this so the update runs through? Heck, bottom line is I just want my stuff back.

2. Roquito macrumors newbie

Think this might help

Hi

I had this problem too and resolved it like this.

I went through without transferring data and set up a new user account with a new name (I.e. Different to the one I was using before). My first login was with the new account. I then logged out and logged back in with my old user id and password. All docs and settings restored (phew).

Hope that helps.

3. pencilcheck macrumors member

I think I had this issue long long before Mavericks and simply just create a new account matching the name of your old one should put you back with all your data still intact, reason is that the data is still under the same directory in the OS, however Mavericks might be confused because the user record is corrupted. I don't know if this is what you are experiencing but remember next time to always backup before upgrading no matter what....