Mavericks upgrade w/relocated user folder

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Jon-PDX, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Jon-PDX macrumors regular

When I installed my SSD as a boot drive I relocated my "personal" user folder to my original drive because it would have filled up the SSD.

Anyone think that will present an issue when I upgrade to Mavericks?

I don't have enough room available on the SSD boot drive to move my user folder back.

Thought, suggestions?

Thanks,

Jon...

2. Jon-PDX thread starter macrumors regular

- Bump -

Thought I'd give this a bump in case anyone who has relocated their user folder and upgraded to Mavericks can tell me if it went ok, or if they had to do something to make it work.

Jon...

3. chriswubbels macrumors newbie

Hasn't Worked For Me

My user folder is relocated for the same reasons. My upgrade to Mavericks has gone poorly.

For some reason all my preferences, contacts, doc, Mail, calendars, Dropbox link, etc... everything that makes my user account a "comfy place" has failed to reappear as expected after the upgrade. The system-level prefs are ok. All the applications are ok. All my user files are there. Everything seems like it should be fine. But it's not. The account comes up like a fresh new user.

I came across your post while looking for leads on a solution. Sorry that I have no useful clues yet.

4. katmeef macrumors 6502

5. madrag macrumors 6502

Look for "symbolic link", this is a technique where you can have the system "think" that it is using the real folder, but it is located somewhere else.

This can be accomplished with a simple terminal command.

Look here:
    http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=2001110610290643

Also you may need to tweak the permissions. Try searching for moving the user folder, you'l get some nice tips.

BTW, I did that for my applications folder and works great.

6. BobZune macrumors 6502a

My user accounts are on a different disk and the in-place upgrade to Mavericks went just fine. I have an admin account and its files on the SSD for emergencies and suggest you do the same.

7. Jon-PDX thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you all for the replies :) Sorry for the delay in responding, haven't been feeling well.

Chris:
    That's really strange that the "comfy place" stuff is not working but the rest is there.

Sorry, I don't have an answer but if you figure it out please post a followup in case someone else has the same issue and comes across this thread looking for help.

kacmeef:
    Good to hear you did not have any issues.

madrag:
    Thanks for the symbolic link info. Hopefully I will no need it at this time but I'll keep the info handy just in case.

Bob:
    Good to hear you also did not have any issues. Thanks for the suggestion about having an admin account on the SSD for emergencies. I'll take your advice and do the same thing.

----

After reading a lot of the OSX 10.9 posts (good and bad) I've decided to upgrade my Macbook Air before my main computer to make sure I'm happy with Mavericks before changing the OS on my main computer.

If/when I do I'll make sure to post the results since that's the computer with the relocated user folder.

Thanks,

Jon…

8. Jon-PDX thread starter macrumors regular

** Followup **

I installed Mavericks on my Macbook Air and played with it quite a bit since my last post.

I liked it and in the short time I used it I did not have any of the issues that I've seen reported on the forum(s). And that was not a clean install but just an update over ML 10.8.5

I just ended up going back to 10.8.5 though because it really bothered me that Apple is forcing Calendar and Contact sync only via iCloud. :(

Local thread about the sync issue can be found here if interested...
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1658356

So I sent Apple feedback on the issue because if something makes me stop using a product I think it's important to let the company know the reason. Especially when I liked the product.

I suspect I will transition to Mavericks at a later time (if they restore the local sync) and when I do I'm confident based on the feedback provided in this thread that the odds are I will not have any major issues with my relocated user folder.

Thanks,

Jon...