Mavericks User interface compared to ML

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by bingeciren, Nov 19, 2013.

1. bingeciren macrumors 6502a

bingeciren

I am a developer and I have been testing all versions of OS X since Leopard. Generally I embrace all new versions of the OS even before it is released to the public. I adopted Snow Leopard before anybody was ready for it. I adopted Lion (even though I didn't like it that much at the beginning) and loved to upgrade to the Mountain Lion long before it became public.

I have been testing Mavericks since last June as soon as it became available, but this is the first OS that I have reservations about it. It never clicked-in the way the previous OS's did before.

There is an annoying issue that still remains unresolved in 10.9.1; Two finger scroll using Safari, though the problem exist outside of Safari as well.

For those who are unfamiliar with the problem, here is a link to a thread that describes the problem in great detail:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1652376

I have various Macs at home and I have tested all versions of Mavericks from upgrades to virgin installs and the problem exists on all versions.

Aside from this annoying problem, there are other negative issues with Mavericks that makes me hesitant to adopt it. Parallels 7 needing upgrade is one of them. Choice of colours in Calendar, particularly not being able to see "today" as clearly as it was on 10.8.x, deletions in Activity Monitor such as the disk space and not being able to select a particular disk to examine the I/O, the implementation of label colours with next to invisible dots as opposed to clearly visible bars is to name a few.

So, for the time being, the negatives of Mavericks outweigh the positives of switching from Mountain Lion, despite the fact that Mavericks has substantial advancements under the skin such as the memory and the power management.

Up until Mountain Lion the user interface was fluid and flawless. In Mavericks, I feel that they took a step backwards.

What is your opinion and how comfortable are you with Mavericks coming from Mountain Lion?

2. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

to me, Mavericks is the least-compelling Mac OS update Since the OS numbering went into the 10's.

I find it ironic, the first non-cat OS name in over a decade and the OS itself is, comparatively, nothing to get excited about.

3. Quackers macrumors 6502a

I think Mavericks runs fine. I prefer it to ML. It's a little snappier on my rMBP.
    Having said that, I always use a mouse so have hardly any trackpad experience.

4. LV426 macrumors 6502a

In my opinion, Mavericks is fine.

I appreciate the tighter integration with iOS (iCloud documents, keychain etc.).

The calendar looks nice and clean.

I don't get that jitter in Safari, and I wouldn't even describe it as a bug anyway. If I drag this page a little to the left or the right, it will snap back to the middle, as it should, because it's supposed to be centred. If I scroll up or down and drag sideways at the same time, it will snap back to the middle, as it should, because it's supposed to be centred. If I scroll up and down using my trackpad anything like vertically – or more commonly as I do with a swish motion – nothing departs from the middle.

You can't really complain that Parallels is designed in such a way that it's incompatible with an OS update. VMware has no such problem. Complain to the vendor about that.

NB, your hearty embrace of ML is in distinct contrast to the hordes of users who complained that ML was rubbish in comparison with Snow Leopard. Go figure.