Mavericks Virus

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by AroundTheFur922, Jun 11, 2014.

1. AroundTheFur922 macrumors member

AroundTheFur922

Hola, I downloaded a program the other day from CNET (OmniDiskSweeper) and although the program worked fine, I am now plagued with constant MySpace video ads while browsing on Chrome. I have searched and found only slight workarounds for PC's but nothing to cure this issue on a Mac. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Pndrgnsvc macrumors 6502

Pndrgnsvc

CNet & Malware

See:
    • http://www.tomsguide.com/us/CNET-CBS-Malware-Trojan-Nmap,news-13410.html
    • http://www.finetunedmac.com/forums/u****reads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=30277#Post30277

I suspect you may need to completely remove your recent CNet downloads (including the "extras" CNet installed) and then reinstall the DL from the developer's site or MacUpdate.

Sadly, I don't know how to identify (and locate) the extra/malware files CNet installed. Perhaps someone else will chime in with proper counsel. With luck, the malware is tied to the app originally downloaded, but I just don't know.

FWIW, it may be easier to revert to a clean clone or Time Machine.

3. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Never, never download from that site...

To solve your problem, use this : http://www.thesafemac.com/art/

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why? Cnet is a major news/technology site.

5. chrfr macrumors 603

6. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

In Europe at least, you CAN'T download anything from CNET without getting adwares.

7. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

In my experience, software downloads from there often contain crapware add ons and/or misleading link baits to crapware downloads

You can download from there, but you have to be careful about what you click and what you agree to install

I would skip them and go to the developers site or some other outlet myself

8. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

This will not remove the installed adware...

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I see, I didn't realize this. The last time I downloaded from cNet, this was not the case.

10. chrfr macrumors 603

I misinterpreted what you were saying and edited my post.

11. chrfr macrumors 603

I was curious exactly what junk this installer puts in a computer so I ran it on a virtual machine.

[​IMG]

It appears that you can disable the adware but it's not an obvious option by any means.
    It adds a bunch of Safari Extensions and changes the home page and then it downloads the original disk image from OmniGroup. So sleazy.
    You can easily remove the extensions by opening Safari preferences and clicking on the Extensions tab.
    The installer also changes your home page and search to Yahoo which you can reset under the general tab in Safari preferences.
    Remove all of these:

[​IMG]

There is also a folder in your home folder/Library/Application Support called Spigot that should be removed.

12. AroundTheFur922 thread starter macrumors member

AroundTheFur922

Thank you all so much for your replies and help. I followed the advice and (knocks on wood) all seems to better at the moment.