Mavericks & vmware 6.0

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by StMic, Jun 12, 2014.

1. StMic macrumors newbie

I recently upgraded my iMac to Mavericks - I should've done a little more homework before making that move but I'm stuck with it now.

I've resolved a few issues but one big one remains. When I upgraded my version of vmware no longer worked and i could not log into my bootcamp partition nor access it via the virtual machine in vmware. I contacted vmware and they told me i needed to upgrade to 6.0 and all would be well and my data would be intact after the upgrade.

All is not well, I still cannot access my bootcamp partition. I spent about a half an hour on the phone with vmware support and they told me I should contact Apple. Has anyone else had the issue? I'm concerned that I won't be able to get his resolved and I'm out $60 too.

2. cookiesnfooty macrumors 6502

cookiesnfooty

The best advice would be to backup your data and re-install, I get no such issues with Vmware.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Does your bootcamp partition work at all, that is can you boot into windows directly?

4. StMic thread starter macrumors newbie

The bootcamp partition does not work at all. When I try to access it via virtual machine I get the BSOD. When I try to boot into windows it starts off like it might work and then the BSOD flashes in the background and then it boots in to the Mac OS.

It worked fine before I installed Mavericks. I can still access the partition on my Mac desktop I just can't get in to Windows. BTW, I was running XP SP3.

5. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Do you need Boot Camp access? Windows XP isn't supported in Boot Camp with Mavericks.

You can create an XP virtual machine as a .VMDK (virtual disk) easily enough in VMWare 6 (or 5) under Mavericks. That lets you run XP in VMWare but not boot directly into it without starting OS X. If that's adequate for your purposes, that's what I'd suggest - create a new virtual disk and delete the Boot Camp partition.

Hopefully Boot Camp Assistant will let you delete the old partition & resize your OS X partition; otherwise it's a bit of a pain (back up everything, re-format the drive, restore).

6. StMic thread starter macrumors newbie

I'd be happy if I could access it via the virtual machine. I have some programs and files on there I would like to access. Do I need to delete the old partition in order to to get this to work?

7. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

You can have Virtual Disk VMs separate from Boot Camp VMs. But if you're talking about retrieving data from the old partition, I'm not very knowledgable about that - I have a strong backup strategy with multiple copies of any important data so that I don't have to be.