Mavericks WiFi "Energy Impact"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Plateglass, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Plateglass macrumors newbie

I wonder, is there any way to check what the "Energy Impact" is of having WiFi on? Because I also have a mobile internet 4g dongle that gives me 100/10 internet speed which is like 10x what my WiFi gives me.

The mobile broad bands comes with a crappy chinese generic software that you have to use to connect to the internets and that program has like 15 on energy impact, which is like playing a movie on Quicktime, but I can't find out what the mavericks WiFi energy impact is to compare, because of course, when I use the dongle the WiFi is off.

2. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Wifi energy impact is negligible. It is very little and much less than your 4G dongle. Wifi only has to transmit over a short distance. 4G has to handle a greater range and therefore needs significantly more power in the signal. Also it has to keep the USB bus active and cannot shut it off and usb always needs some CPU resources too.
    Wifi practically is nothing on a notebook today. Smartphones can run 10h on wifi and they have much smaller batteries. The CPU cycles that handle a download are more of a problem for the battery than the wifi modul needs to transmit the bytes.

If you can, surf over wifi and attach the 4g dongle directly to the router.