Mavericks window server crash with screen sharing

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by ColdCase, Jul 26, 2016.

1. ColdCase macrumors 68030

I thought I'd post here as well as the OS forums in case any of you guys ran into this.

I have a headless mini serving as the house media server. Its running Mavericks 10.9.5 and the server app and I don't want to touch it.

I have been using my 10.9.5 Mavericks laptop to share the mini's screen and maintain the library for months without issue.

I recently added a El Capitan 10.11.5 MacPro where I now want to share the mini's screen. I found that most of the time it works great, sometimes its slow for awhile coming out of sleep, but the most annoying thing is when I scroll through the mini's iTunes library the mini's windowserver will often crash and log out the user. The mini log in screen is shown, and I can log in and continue... until the next mini windowserver crash. Initially I though iTunes was crashing, but looking at the console logs it seems to be the windowserver. It may not be related to iTune but the only time I observe the crash is when scrolling through the list of TV shows in the library.

Is there a solution short of upgrading everything, which is not going to happen.

I hear there are several issues with El Capitan's implementation of screen share.

2. ColdCase thread starter macrumors 68030

Update: This is probably a fairly common problem for those that run their server headless. Screen share works better with either a dummy monitor or active monitor connected. Learn something new every day I guess. I'm thinking the Mavericks laptop on a wireless connection was slower and didn't push the mini windowserver hard enough to crash.