Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benjamwes

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2013
UK
Just wondering, do you get Mavericks for free if it comes out within a month of purchasing a mac? I just got a Late 2012 21.5" iMac about 3 weeks ago... :)

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Just wondering, do you get Mavericks for free if it comes out within a month of purchasing a mac? I just got a Late 2012 21.5" iMac about 3 weeks ago... :)
When Apple announces the actually release date for Mavericks, they will also announce the details of the "Up To Date" program. It's not always the same, but any computer you buy within 30 days of Mavericks release should get a free upgrade and it could be a date that is more than 30 days before Mavericks release.

Since the Mavericks release data isn't announced yet, the best answer I can give you is maybe.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
Mountain Lion was released on July 25th - all those who purchased a new Mac computer on or after June 12th received a few upgrade to ML.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Mountain Lion was released on July 25th - all those who purchased a new Mac computer on or after June 12th received a few upgrade to ML.
True, however, since we don't know the release date for Mavericks, the best we can do is speak in generalities. And in general 30 days is the shortest up to date program Apple has offered.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
True, however, since we don't know the release date for Mavericks, the best we can do is speak in generalities. And in general 30 days is the shortest up to date program Apple has offered.

Obvious - I was giving the OP the best info possible.

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
I ordered my Imac on the 1st of October and have yet to receive, will i be entitled for the free mavericks update with the October 22nd event just announced.

ventuss

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2011
I am expecting my iMac to ship btw october 24 and 31. As long as Apple releases Maverick before that, is there a chance of geting it pre installed on my iMac?

tomnavratil

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2013
I am expecting my iMac to ship btw october 24 and 31. As long as Apple releases Maverick before that, is there a chance of geting it pre installed on my iMac?

Not much considering it's an BTO iMac. There's always a delay between public release of the new OS and its presence in all BTO configurations. You should get a free upgrade hopefully.

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
This is the first time I'm waiting a few months to upgrade. 10.8.5 is working beautifully for me and I'd like to wait and see if anything interesting trickles out after launch.

I'm sure it'll be great, but other than under the hood improvements, only the new tabbed finder has me curious. I'm using total finder now and love the way I have it setup, so nothing from this new OS release has me overly thrilled.

cperchard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Just wondering....if they say they will give a free copy to anyone who has bought within 14 days or something.......does that start from when i placed the order or from when i received it?? Warranty's I'm pretty sure start from when you receive it.....but unsure on this? I ordered mine on the 5th and received it on the 14th.......so if it came out on the 25th for example, and they only give a 14 day period, would I likely receive it free do you think? :confused:

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Unlikely since while Mavericks might be announced the 22nd, it may not be released right away.

Not much considering it's an BTO iMac. There's always a delay between public release of the new OS and its presence in all BTO configurations. You should get a free upgrade hopefully.
Actually with BTO, when new releases of OS X come out, the manufacturing line can get updated quickly and has been sometimes. It's with OS X patches that the BTO units won't see that quickly in manufacturing.

Just wondering....if they say they will give a free copy to anyone who has bought within 14 days or something.......does that start from when i placed the order or from when i received it?? Warranty's I'm pretty sure start from when you receive it.....but unsure on this? I ordered mine on the 5th and received it on the 14th.......so if it came out on the 25th for example, and they only give a 14 day period, would I likely receive it free do you think? :confused:
It'll probably be at least a 30 day window, so don't worry about it. The 22nd will be here soon enough and you'll find out the details of the up to date program if the Mavericks release is announced then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.