MavX memory specs

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by zoran, Dec 6, 2013.

1. zoran macrumors 68030

What is the least amount of memory that MavX needs to operate? Is this according to what type of Mac one has?

2. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

I think the lowest it will run on is 2Gb (I think 4Gb is the lowest officially supported) max being I think 128Gb.

How much resources it uses while running depends highly on how much is available. Kernel Task will probably use anywhere from 400Mb to 1.5Gb depending on how much ram you have installed. All the other system stuff will also vary in amount of ram used but usually under 2GB. I think after a fresh boot on 8Gb I'm usually around something like 4Gb used but I also have a bunch of apps that launch on start-up. Once you start doing stuff Mavericks generally keeps your mem usage pretty high by leaving app data in a cache, I'd say anywhere from 65-99% is pretty typical at least for me.

3. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

Isn't it true that the newer the OSX the more memory it requires as minimum! I remember Tiger needed at least 256MB!

4. w0lf, Dec 7, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2013

w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

Yes, but what's your point? Tiger is coming up on 9 years old... 1GB of memory was a lot back then now even most tablets and phones have at least that much but many have more. Almost every computer even ultra books ship with 4GB+ and have been doing so for the last year or two.

The first Macintosh only used 128kb of ram.

All macs now come with a minimum of 4GB ram or 31,250 times more ram than the Macintosh 128k and the 128k is only about 3 times as old as Tiger.

The more advanced computers become the more ram, CPU and GPU power is needed to preform to peoples ever expanding standards.

5. zoran, Dec 7, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2013

zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

My point is that there is a thin line between improvement/memory needed and another thing, as long as one doesn't do unneeded software upgrades, his machine will last longer!

6. meme1255 macrumors 6502

W0lf, Gb != GB !! :mad:

Gb = GB / 8!

And Mavericks requires at least 2GB / 16Gb of RAM, not only 256 MB / 2Gb :)

7. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

Your machine wont last any longer by not updating. Using more memory doesn't suddenly make old computers explode. There really isn't that thin of a line between improvement and need.

A machine that runs Tiger would be PPC and couldn't even run Snow Leopard, Lion, ML or Mavericks in the first place so I'm not really seeing the point of this thread.

You are correct.

8. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Not necessarily as the first Intels ran Tiger as well but I don't see the point of this thread either.

9. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

I have 8Gb of RAM on my new iMac with Mavericks and after a restart it only uses 1.87Gb.

10. meme1255 macrumors 6502

<OT> Bit or byte, that's no difference ... <OT>