Max 12 apps per folder

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by quietstormSD, Jun 21, 2010.

1. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

The maximum number of apps I was able to get into a folder is 12, when I tried to put a 13th in, it wouldn't let me go into the folder. Anyone else can confirm?

2. kyleaa macrumors regular

That is correct. Thia was confirmed the date of the OS4 keynote.

3. gillybean macrumors 6502a

Happened to me too. I have 14 games so now I have to either set it up as 2 game folders, or 1 game folder + 2 loose games. :mad:

4. steezy1337 macrumors 6502

anyone reckon we'll get an increase in folder size in a point update? personally think 12 per folder is pretty weak.

5. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8A293)

So far I only 5 Apps at the most to put in each folder, so this doesn't bother me yet.

6. kyleaa macrumors regular

It would break the "slide open" effect so probably not... Apple tends to sacrifice functional benefit for stylistic benefit.

7. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

What do you want? 16? Why not just make a page dedicated to those apps then?

8. steezy1337 macrumors 6502

i've got 3 folders for games alone, i have no idea what games are in which unless i made folders based on what kind of games they were which would put me in a position no better off than before we had folders. with the way the folders work right now i don't see any reason why they couldn't implement some downward scrolling ability so you can store more in a folder.

it's nice to see they're trying but personally i think it still needs work until i'll forget about Categories.

9. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

If you have three folders for games, why not try and name the folders by category -- maybe RPG Games, Action Games, Puzzle Games? That's what I'm hoping to do.

I don't have iOS4 yet (waiting for my iPhone 4 first, there's no way I'm trying it on 3G) but is it possible to do this?

10. steezy1337 macrumors 6502

mainly for the reason i put above, making a folder for each category puts me in a position not that much better off than i was before folders. also because there's no way other than the text to distinguish folder contents, i reckon you'd be unable to be able to quickly glance at the screen to find what you want like you can with Categories folder icons. i think i need to chill out a bit because this minor annoyinace is starting to really annoy me :p

11. kyleaa macrumors regular

The folder takes on the icons of the apps inside. I found myself using that to locate apps more than the text (I've been on 4.0 for 2 months). It only shows the first 9 in the folder though. With the iPhone 4 the icons will probably actually look almost as clear as their full size counterparts :p

12. LoganT macrumors 68020

First of all are you really playing 13 games? I mean I can get 5 at the most, but even 12? Maybe I'm just not a huge gamer.

13. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Two suggestion:

1) Categories and label accordingly
    2) Alphabetize, label accordingly

14. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Apologize for Apple all you want or say why would anyone want more than 12 apps, but Categories does this fine via jailbreaking with Infiniboard. One way around this issue would be to have folders in a folder.

15. SiskoKid macrumors 6502

If there could be more apps in the folder, then it would negate the use of folders to begin with. Instead of swiping left to right to find your apps, you're swiping up and down to find them. A bit silly, no?

I have 3 folders of games. I'd have more but I deleted some and they happened to even out to three folders. The whole point of the folders is to organize your junk more efficiently and not have to swipe around to find everything.

If you're complaining about the ONE TIME you'll have to categorize a folder to organize your stuff, then you're being quite silly.

16. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Exactly what I've been saying! It's like a springboard inside a folder, purpose defeating purpose.

17. steezy1337 macrumors 6502

Maybe I'm just not seeing the way apple wanted me to use this feature and much prefer the way it's done with categories, I'll have to see if I can be convinced otherwise when I get my iPhone 4

18. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

It doesn't.

Anyways iPhone 5 will have the revolutionary new feature to hold 16 apps per folder!

19. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Considering the screen only shows 12 apps at once, what good would it do to put more than that in a folder. Then you are swiping sideways, which means you would be better off making pages of games instead of folders.

20. steezy1337 macrumors 6502

we might as well not have folders then, just put your apps next to each other in pages….. i'm gonna leave this thread now, the Apple defending is getting silly now

21. SmartAlx macrumors newbie

This is stupid. I'm sticking with categories.

There you Apple fanboys go again, trying to question our methodology. Stop telling us how to use our own devices.

The reason I want more than 12 icons is it will allow me to replace my exceptionally organized one page theme with a legitimate Apple approved theme. I wouldn't have to jailbreak to get the theme. I can have everything within easy grasp without swiping off of that one page.

But if I'm forced to have 3 folders of games, 3 folders of utilities, 4 folders of local apps, 3 book folders, etc. they'll all add up to multiple pages of folders and the phone will look cluttered once more. Have you SEEN those folder icons? They don't really jump out at you do they? Actually current apple folders seem to make it even harder to find apps than before. If I have folders organized the way you all are advocating, once again finding apps will become a chore and the purpose behind folders will be ignored.

And what about nested folders? Can you nest folders? I'll bet not. But you can nest categories.

Look at this webpage. It's a review of folders.

http://www.theneocell.com/are-ios-4-0-folder-icons-good-or-bad.htm

It doesn't make things much easier. We need to be able to change the folder icons, we need more than 12 icons inside a folder, and we need to be able to nest folders. I suspect the jailbreak community will enable these necessary features shortly. If they don't, I'll stick to Categories, after a working JB comes out. In the meantime I'm blissfully using my exceptionally organized 3.1.3 iPhone 3Gs with over 150 apps installed.

(Oh, do I have too many apps? Ok. Well, you tell me how you're going to figure out which of the 500 available recipe apps you purchased 2 years ago, while you are out grocery shopping with your grandmother 300 miles away from your computer. I may not need all 150 apps every day but when I do need the specific app I hadn't planned on needing when I grabbed my iPhone on the way out the door this morning, I'm very glad I don't have to hunt it down, remember if I already paid the $4.99 for it and risk purchasing it again and wait to redownload it, especially with AT&T restrictions and ESPECIALLY since Apple doesn't give us a list of all of the apps we have purchased. Apple forced me to have all of these 150+ apps on my iPhone because they won't give me an easy to use list of the apps I already purchased. And AT&T won't let me download apps bigger than 20MB on 3G.)

22. SmartAlx macrumors newbie

Precisely. With Apple function follows form. Ridiculous. And they call themselves designers?

But they are too lazy because every problem is eventually solved without compromising the form. Remember the V1 iPhone recessed headphone jack? What an annoyance. You couldn't fit normal headphones into the V1 iphones. They said that if they didn't recess it, the beauty of the phone would be compromised, ad we were forced to purchase stupid long adapters. Then Apple created the 3G and solved the problem and all of those long adapters went in the trash.

The iPhone has also had notoriously bad reception. Well with the iPhone 4 they elegantly solved the problem by putting the antenna on the outside. Brilliant. Why did it take 4 years to do it though?

Apple could solve this folder issue quite easily by allowing us to swipe icons inside folders left and right and to let us change the folder icon to whatever we want. And also to allow us to nest folders. They are just lazy. They want us to beta test this OS.

Mark my words. Apple will impliment these 3 "features" in the future. It might be iOS5 or it might be iOS4.0.1. But it will happen. Of course it will happen 3 years AFTER the jailbreak community had these features with Categories and Stacks.

23. wishman35 macrumors regular