Max battery capacity suddenly dropped

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ManicMarc, May 5, 2015.

1. ManicMarc macrumors 6502

Is it normal for an 18 month old battery to loose this much capacity in a month, using just 3 cycles??

[​IMG]

2. motrek macrumors 68020

Charge capacity is just an estimate that can go up and down. No need to worry about a few percent difference here or there.

3. mefistos macrumors member

mind if I ask you how did you get 42 cycles after 18 months of usage?

4. motrek macrumors 68020

Is this a rhetorical question?

5. mefistos macrumors member

yeah... I am actually asking myself... the hell... I wanna know how he did it? I have MBA 2 weeks and I have 7 cycles already... does he leave it on the charger all the time?

6. Newtons Apple, May 6, 2015
    Last edited: May 6, 2015

Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I have a two year old Air that has only 5 cycles as it is used plugged in. The OP is likely doing the same.

Edit: Forgot to post that my battery also shows 96%

7. motrek macrumors 68020

I have 39 cycles on a battery that's ~10 months old. Why not leave it on the charger all the time?

8. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

Lots of people use their laptop at their desk or some other work station, with a power socket within arm's reach. As long as you let the battery get some exercise from time to time, there's no reason not let your laptop run off of A/C power instead of the battery when it's convenient.

9. mefistos macrumors member

yeah but what does "from time to time" means? I can have it plugged literary all the Time for 5 months... should i unplug it once per week or two or once per month? don't want to wear the battery off if I don't need to... if you know what I mean:)

PS:coconutbattery says my battery capacity is 103%

10. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

It's hard to say what the best usage pattern is. Keeping the battery at 100% literally all the time is not ideal, but obviously draining and recharging it all the time adds the the cycles which mean wear. But the truth is, unless you are particularly abusive to your battery, it will probably last you until you're ready for a new laptop.

11. ManicMarc thread starter macrumors 6502

I only really use it on weekends.... I have a company Laptop (Windows) I use 9-5 during the day.

12. motrek macrumors 68020

Apple used to recommend running the battery through a cycle once per month, but they removed this from their web site a couple years ago.

Only they know why, but if it sounds like good advice to you...

13. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

My 13" MBP has 89% after 3yrs 10mths and 1046 cycles - so run pretty hard. My MBA has roughly the same battery capacity left, is a year younger and only 300 cycles so I would suggest not using a battery is relatively bad for it.

Batteries become stale if not used, and also decline with age, hitting the "optimum" curve is a black art but IMHO more usage is better than less...

14. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Your battery will suffer from wear regardless of wether you choose to leave it plugged in or use the battery. The best method is to plug and charge much like your iPhone. Don't run it flat every cycle as that's not good either.

15. motrek macrumors 68020

Meanwhile there are plenty of people who post to this forum who only have a few hundred cycles and have hugely reduced charge capacities.

I don't think we can infer much from your two numbers, except that it's possible to have over 1000 cycles on a battery and have it be over 80%... people with these stats don't often post to the forum.

16. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

No surprises there. Problems are over-represented in all user forums everywhere.