Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
I recently purchased a mac studio - scheduled to be delivered in June.
The main reason is that my M1 MacBook pro is unable to support my two Studio displays.
I am curious as to whether the community thinks that the next-gen Mac Mini will be able to support 3+ 5K displays , similar to the Mac Studio, and at what price-point? I got the base studio and upgraded the SSD to 1TB, coming to around 2100 incl tax.

Thoughts?

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I recently purchased a mac studio - scheduled to be delivered in June.
The main reason is that my M1 MacBook pro is unable to support my two Studio displays.
I am curious as to whether the community thinks that the next-gen Mac Mini will be able to support 3+ 5K displays , similar to the Mac Studio, and at what price-point? I got the base studio and upgraded the SSD to 1TB, coming to around 2100 incl tax.
My expectation is that the M2 Mac mini will most definitely NOT be able to support 3+ 5K displays.

However, if they release an M1 Pro or M2 Pro Mac mini, then your wish for more robust display support may come true. Unfortunately, it would be premium priced, and if you wanted 32 GB it would get pretty close in price to your Mac Studio anyway. Also, the Mac Studio has more USB ports than what I expect a high end Mac mini would have. And finally, there's no guarantee a high end Mac mini would launch in a timely manner at the same time as the M2 Mac mini.

IOW, stick with your Mac Studio and be happy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Digitalguy

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
My expectation is that the M2 Mac mini will most definitely NOT be able to support 3+ 5K displays.

However, if they release an M1 Pro or M2 Pro Mac mini, then your wish for more robust display support may come true. Unfortunately, it would be premium priced, and if you wanted 32 GB it would get pretty close in price to your Mac Studio anyway. Also, the Mac Studio has more USB ports than what I expect a high end Mac mini would have. And finally, there's no guarantee a high end Mac mini would launch in a timely manner at the same time as the M2 Mac mini.

IOW, stick with your Mac Studio and be happy.
I'm curious if this is still the prevailing POV.

I want a machine that will support 3 ASD or at very least 2 ASD and a 4K display. Right now that basically requires an M1 Max machine (Studio or MBP). Does anyone think that the new Mini (in even its most expensive configuration) will support this (albeit strange) requirement?

uller6

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
I'm really hoping that the M2 mini comes in a "pro flavor" so I can run 1 XDR + 1 ultra fine 5k displays. I hear horror stories about the Mac Studio coil whine and fan noise issues, and I love me a near-silent computer. My M1 iMac is working fine for now, but I want a screen size upgrade!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.