Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sungjupark

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
Hi,

I recently bought a new dell 2713HM monitor which supports 2340 1440 resolution.

I bought a mini-dp to dp cable to connect the monitor but the maximum resolution I get is 1080p which is same with what I get from HDMI.

I have searched this online but all I get is mini-dp to dp cable would do the job.

Can anyone please help what could have gone wrong?

Idgit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2004
I'm wondering about this, too. I have a 13" MacBook Pro with a NVIDIA GeForce 320M (256 MB). What external monitor resolution can this laptop comfortably drive? I'm looking at a 22" monitor with a native resolution of 1920 x 1080.

Will I notice a lot of jerkiness or slow-downs when using the MBPro with this resolution on an external monitor?

Hi,

I recently bought a new dell 2713HM monitor which supports 2340 1440 resolution.

I bought a mini-dp to dp cable to connect the monitor but the maximum resolution I get is 1080p which is same with what I get from HDMI.

I have searched this online but all I get is mini-dp to dp cable would do the job.

Can anyone please help what could have gone wrong?

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
I'm wondering about this, too. I have a 13" MacBook Pro with a NVIDIA GeForce 320M (256 MB). What external monitor resolution can this laptop comfortably drive? I'm looking at a 22" monitor with a native resolution of 1920 x 1080.

Will I notice a lot of jerkiness or slow-downs when using the MBPro with this resolution on an external monitor?

It looks like yours should drive 2560 by 1600 pixels according to http://support.apple.com/kb/SP583. You shouldn't have any slowdowns or issues like that.

As for the OP, I wonder if it has something to do with dual-link DVI vs. HDMI vs. DisplayPort...

maigado

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2007
I've read recently that hdmi, if that's what you're using, only supports up to 1920x1080. I don't know if that's true, but that's what I've seen.

I'm in the market for a new external monitor that will play nice with my current model MBP and want to know what connectors are appropriate. I'd like to use HDMI since that's a port that has no other practical use. But if it won't display 1980x1200 or higher, I'll have to reconsider my monitor choices.

It's possible that using the Thunderbolt ports, that I can get that higher resolution, though. I stopped into a local Apple Store earlier looking for info, but nobody knew enough about the issue to be of any help.

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
I've read recently that hdmi, if that's what you're using, only supports up to 1920x1080. I don't know if that's true, but that's what I've seen.

That is the case on the Retina MacBook Pros' HDMI ports - it tops out at 1920x1080...this is part of the reason we recently paired a 13" rMBP with 2 1080p displays where I work (same displays and one runs on Thunderbolt->DVI, one runs on HDMI->DVI, the other Thunderbolt port is for wired ethernet)

maigado

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2007
Using the Thunderbolt port, can't you get higher than 1920x1080 by connecting to the right port on the monitor (assuming the monitor has higher resolution than that)?

That's what I'm looking to do with a new monitor. I want 1920x1200 or maybe even higher. Would Thunderbolt to HDMI get that higher res? Or Thunderbolt to DVI or something else?

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
Using the Thunderbolt port, can't you get higher than 1920x1080 by connecting to the right port on the monitor (assuming the monitor has higher resolution than that)?

That's what I'm looking to do with a new monitor. I want 1920x1200 or maybe even higher. Would Thunderbolt to HDMI get that higher res? Or Thunderbolt to DVI or something else?

Using Thunderbolt, you can go higher - I think it really depends on the monitor and the adapter if you're limited then (there are some weird restrictions that some manufacturers put in place when you use HDMI). If given the choice, I use DVI or DisplayPort at the monitor end...

Going by the current MacBook Pros, you can max out at 2560x1600 on each display on Thunderbolt. For the HDMI port (not what you were planning to use, but for reference), the resolutions are: 1080p @ 60Hz, 3840x2160 @ 30Hz, 4096x2160 @ 24Hz

Keep in mind that DVI maxes out at 1920x1200, unless you use the expensive dual-link DVI adapter, which then maxes out at 2560x1600. I'm guessing DisplayPort is where the 2560x1600 maximum can actually happen.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
These were usable with the 27" cinema display in 2010. It was 2560 x 1440, identical to the thunderbolt display. These models can run an external display of that resolution, and it is supported. I know various quirks have come up in other threads, so you might hear back on something. As for the connector, displayport and mini displayport support that resolution. I'm assuming you're plugging into a displayport port on the monitor. If it's still showing 1080, did you check system preferences for available resolutions if the correct resolution was not immediately detected?

maigado

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2007
Thanks for all the input. It's a huge help for me.

thekev, I've yet to get the new monitor, but I'm trying to get some info, which you folks are providing, that'll help me decide what to do. I'm currently using the retina screen on the MBP, of course, along with an old Samsung 245T external display. That one, connected via the HDMI port on the MBP to DVI on the 245T is displaying its native 1920x1080 resolution. I don't know if the refresh is the full 60hz or something less than that. The pref pane shows that it is, but that could be wrong. The whites are off at this point and there are some other color issues, too. Time for a new one.

eschwarz, if I use the dual-link DVI approach, could I link to it via the HDMI port on the MBP or would I still be restricted to the resolutions and refresh rates you suggested?

I'll probably get a new 1920x1200 display, though it's possible that I'll get a 27" monitor with higher resolution, instead. I'd prefer not to spend that extra money, though.

Do display port cables plug directly into the Thunderbolt ports on the MBP or do they require an adapter?

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
eschwarz, if I use the dual-link DVI approach, could I link to it via the HDMI port on the MBP or would I still be restricted to the resolutions and refresh rates you suggested?

I don't know what model you have (I'm assuming it's a rMBP because of the HDMI port mention - I don't think there was ever an HDMI-to-dual-link-DVI adapter made. Dual-link DVI is sort of a dying technology that was used to drive those big 30" Apple Cinema Displays (and other large displays) before DisplayPort took off as a protocol. The adapter for mini-DisplayPort to dual-link DVI is also is expensive and somewhat finicky. If your monitor has alternatives (it sounds like it does), I'd avoid it (unless you got a great deal on an old 30" Cinema Display).

I think the 1920x1080 maximum over the HDMI port on rMBPs is probably more of an artificial limitation to ensure that it's mostly used for TVs or smaller displays without weird refresh rates or other things. If you notice, this cable even has that limitation when you use the Thunderbolt/mini DisplayPorts to run an HDMI device: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10246&cs_id=1024603&p_id=9473&seq=1&format=2

"Note that this cable supports a maximum resolution of 1920x1080 when connected to a Mac computer."

Do display port cables plug directly into the Thunderbolt ports on the MBP or do they require an adapter?

The DisplayPort cables are much better - they're similar in design and style to HDMI cables, so a lot less cumbersome than DVI cables. You'd need a mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable, since the Thunderbolt port is the same connector (and carries the same signals as) the mini-DisplayPort found on prior Macs. It's also a fraction of the price: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10246&cs_id=1024606&p_id=6007&seq=1&format=2

maigado

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2007
OK. That's a great help, eschwarz. I do have a 15" rMBP. I'll forget about the dual-link DVI thing and look for a monitor that works with mini-DP to DP.

sungjupark

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2012

I got my 27' at 2560*1440 and it works nicely. When using Aperture it slows a bit, but my system is slow with Aperture 3.1 and my huge library anyway :cool:..............

sry for late reply I posted the same question many places and forgot this one.

----------

It looks like yours should drive 2560 by 1600 pixels according to http://support.apple.com/kb/SP583. You shouldn't have any slowdowns or issues like that.

As for the OP, I wonder if it has something to do with dual-link DVI vs. HDMI vs. DisplayPort...

Sorry for my delayed feedback. I left the same question everywhere and I forgot about this one.

And no. It has nothing to do with cables or settings. It is pure Mavericks problem and you should do this thing called EDID override.

read this: https://discussions.apple.com/message/23853239#23853239

----------

I'm in the market for a new external monitor that will play nice with my current model MBP and want to know what connectors are appropriate. I'd like to use HDMI since that's a port that has no other practical use. But if it won't display 1980x1200 or higher, I'll have to reconsider my monitor choices.

It's possible that using the Thunderbolt ports, that I can get that higher resolution, though. I stopped into a local Apple Store earlier looking for info, but nobody knew enough about the issue to be of any help.

Sorry for my delayed feedback. I left the same question everywhere and I forgot about this one.

And no. It has nothing to do with cables or settings. It is pure Mavericks problem and you should do this thing called EDID override.

----------

These were usable with the 27" cinema display in 2010. It was 2560 x 1440, identical to the thunderbolt display. These models can run an external display of that resolution, and it is supported. I know various quirks have come up in other threads, so you might hear back on something. As for the connector, displayport and mini displayport support that resolution. I'm assuming you're plugging into a displayport port on the monitor. If it's still showing 1080, did you check system preferences for available resolutions if the correct resolution was not immediately detected?

robododge

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2017

KJL3000

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2010
Thanks Sungjupark -

The EDID override works great, even now in 2017. The instructions are a bit different now for installing the override on Sierra, but you will find the details by scrolling down further on the EDID website.

My MacBook Pro mid 2010 now feeds my Samsung 2K monitor at 2650x1440, no problem. Here is the hardware I have.
I have the same problem with my mid 2010 MacBook Pro, as I'm only getting 1080p via mini Display Port to Display Port on a BenQ wit a native 2650x1440 resolution. Could you please send me the link to the page with the instructuons you followed to get your MacBook to work? (I know this post is almost two years old, but I'm really desperate... ;)

BL4ckf0x

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2020
Santiago, Chile
I have the same problem with my mid 2010 MacBook Pro, as I'm only getting 1080p via mini Display Port to Display Port on a BenQ wit a native 2650x1440 resolution. Could you please send me the link to the page with the instructuons you followed to get your MacBook to work? (I know this post is almost two years old, but I'm really desperate... ;)
Make sure to check the specs of the adapter, i have an old griffin adapter that says up to 1080p, and i know that the imac can send up to 2650x1440 via the Mini dp port, so i buy a new adapter and problem solved :)

Reactions: KJL3000
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.