Max Fan Speeds on 2007 iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by davidg4781, Apr 16, 2012.

1. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

I recently bought a 2007 iMac on CL and installed istat.

It's showing my fan speeds as 1200 rpm and while they may go a tad bit lower they never go any higher than that.

Is that the fastest they'll go?

Just wondering because it is doing the freezing thing I've read about with this model and I want to make sure this is not causing it.

Temps seem to look ok except Airport Card at 69º and GPU Diode at 62º. I am watching The Office on nbc.com right now though.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That's the idle fan speeds for that model. They will go high if there is too much heat. Don't forget, the aluminum iMacs have a very good cooling system and not a lot of moving air is needed to cool them down. What OS is it running? And could you describe the freezing you're getting?

3. simsaladimbamba

Flash is CPU intensive, but those temps are within norm and the fans will not go faster, though they can. I have a 2007 Aluminium iMac and that is their idle speed, but with SMC Fan Control I can spin the fans up to 3000 to 4000 RPM.

And what is the freezing thing?

Performance Tips For Mac OS X

4. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

It's running the latest version of OS X Snow Leopard.

I'll download the SMC fan control. I thought I had (recently reinstalled OS X because I'm going to resell it) but I don't remember it going above 1200.

The freezing I had would happen when I had the dock magnification on. Everything would freeze except my mouse. I had the spinning beach ball but was still able to move the cursor around the screen. Nothing would correct it except for restarting.

When I reinstalled it did it a few times and I turned off the Translucent Menu Bar and so far no freezes. I've played some flash based Facebook games and watch an episode of The Office and everything's running fine.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

simsalad, here's a thread about the freezing: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1262891

It occurs on iMacs with the ATI 2400 and 2600 video cards running Mac OS X 10.6.7 through 10.7.3. What happens is that everything freezes, but the mouse, just can't click on anything, still works and you can still get into your iMac via SSH or a network file share, but VNC based things don't work.

6. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

Wow. Just saw the save button you're supposed to click after you adjust the speeds.

It's like an airplane about to take off.

Airport Card's at 59º and GPU at 48º.

Thanks!

7. simsaladimbamba

I have the iMac the OP in that thread you linked to has, and never had that freezing issue, except when I had some other application installed, maybe BetterTouchTool or so in one of its early versions with my Magic Mouse and Magic Trackpad.

Anyway, my iMac runs fine with 4 GB RAM and a 60 GB SSD inside, though the display developed those dirt smudges, which I thought came from smoking, until I found out, it wasn't and the warranty was already gone.

8. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

And it froze again.

I read through that thread when it first froze. Glad I didn't get a broken one just has bad drivers.

Is there anything to help solve it? Will Lion? Mountain Lion?

Either way, I'm going to sell it to a friend of mine. Not because of the freezing but I had planned to either sell that or my MacBook either way.

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I have that same iMac model as well. Unfortunately I have the freezing issues. But even since I made a 10.6.6 and 10.6.8 hybrid system, no more freezing.

davidg4781, your iMac doesn't need to have its fans set to a higher speed. The parts inside are able to deal with the high temperatures and the freezing is not being caused by the high temperatures.

10. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks, I just wanted to make sure the fans were working before selling to a friend. My MacBook's will routinely run at 6,200rpm and these never budged above 1,200. I know they're different but just wanted to make sure.

11. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It is quite a change from a Macbook. I remember first using my 07 iMac and wondering if it even had fans.

12. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

Does Lion help the freezing issues? Will Mountain Lion?

13. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I've still encountered freezing on 10.7.3. No idea about 10.8 or 10.7.4.

14. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

Do you know if the freezing issue happens with Tiger? If it's stable under that, I can run Tiger until Apple finds a fix (which is hopefully very soon).

15. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The freezing only happens under 10.6.7 through 10.7.4/current. It did happen under Tiger until Apple issued a graphics firmware update. Software Update would have installed this if you run it.