Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bearbear

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2008
What's the max file size playable by ATV? I'm ripping and encoding Lord Of The Rings special extended edition and each one takes up 2 DVDs worth. I usually encode a single DVD down to roughly 4gb, so stitched together the video file size would be just under 8 gigs. Would this play?

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
What's the max file size playable by ATV? I'm ripping and encoding Lord Of The Rings special extended edition and each one takes up 2 DVDs worth. I usually encode a single DVD down to roughly 4gb, so stitched together the video file size would be just under 8 gigs. Would this play?

Should not be a problem as long as you use settings that match what ATV can play (Frame rate, Picture size, etc). I don't think ATV cares about the file size, but rather what settings are used for the encode.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I'm sure before Take 2 files couldn't be over 4GB, but I AFAIK it isn't an issue anymore with Take 2. Someone could clarify.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
if its an mp4 as long as its a 64 bit mp4 the atv will play it all day. No problem.

And the 4 gb 32 bit mp4 file limit is an issue with mp4 and not the atv.

Edit: and for the record, before take 2 the atv played > 4 gb 64 bit mp4 files all day long as well, it just couldnt stream them. they had to be synced.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Edit: and for the record, before take 2 the atv played > 4 gb 64 bit mp4 files all day long as well, it just couldnt stream them. they had to be synced.

Ahh it's an iTunes issue - take it we still can't stream >4GB files?

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Ahh it's an iTunes issue - take it we still can't stream >4GB files?

Um, with 2.1 you can. In fact the HB atv preset built in is 64 bit mp4 and it streams just fine. Including LOTR. I just watched it the other night streaming. I think the file was just over 5 GB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.