Max out the RAM or upgrade harddisk?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blackeyed, Mar 24, 2008.

1. blackeyed macrumors newbie

Let's say, I only want to spend about 100 Euros on top of the base mbp.

In terms of power, would it be better to use this money for maxing out the ram or for swapping out the harddisk and getting the 7200rpm instead? Considering that it's easier for me to build in extra ram than to change out the hdd (which is an argument for getting the 7200rpm now by bto).

Is a system with 4GB Ram and 5400rpm hdd as powerful as a system with 2GB Ram and 7200rpm hdd?

2. Shabbis macrumors regular

If you are thinking about getting the ram thru Apple, don't. It's too expensive. I would BTO the 7200 HD and get the ram somewhere else and upgrade. Plus, upgrading the HD can void the warranty, but not the ram.

3. loungemonkey macrumors member

What will you be using it for?

I agree with the guy above me.

4. Enzo macrumors member

I personally would max out the ram and later if needed upgrade hard drive.

5. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

One way of looking at it: RAM is pretty darned cheap right now (at places other than Apple, of course). Prices fluctuate quite considerably and may become more expensive. Hard drives, however, only seem to get cheaper, or at least bigger/faster. If I were you - and I have just bought the same MBP you are looking at - upgrade the RAM now, and consider a HDD later if you need it. I paid just over £50 for 4 GB of RAM, and I will sell the 2 GB that came out.

6. Mashiach macrumors regular

Mashiach

One big problem with getting a 7200 rpm hd in a laptop is that is sucks up battery power quicker than a 5400 and if you need the long battery life then this can be a big deal.
    As the majority before me have said buy your ram cheap else where don't go through apple. And a 4gb 5400 rpm would kick a 2gb 7200 rpm's backside (i apologize for the school yard trash talk)

7. pionata macrumors 6502

7200 = More heat, more noise and less battery. I dont think shorter load times are worth it.

More ram = less hd caching, therefore less heat and less cpu usage.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Get bigger HDD.

I have used more than 2GB about twice.

I've wanted more HDD space a lot more.

9. TravisReynolds macrumors regular

TravisReynolds

Max out the ram, because you can always delete appliations/files when you feel you won't need them anymore