Max Output Resolution of Unibody Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mousouchop, Mar 2, 2009.

1. mousouchop macrumors 6502a

mousouchop

Hey,

I have done a search of the forums and couldn't find an answer and kinda figured that someone here would know the answer.

I am looking to get an external monitor for my Macbook. I have recently gotten into self-learning Objective-C, but man-- Interface Builder's toolbars take up 60% of my screen real estate on their own-- makes it very hard to do anything constructive. I also do work in Dreamweaver and Photoshop for wed design/development. (I should have got a MBP *kicks self*).

In anycase I was wondering what the largest supported output resolution is. Anyone here have an answer for me?

Thank you!

I reworded my search and found an answer. Damn. Saw somewhere it said 19??x12?? I don't remember exact numbers or if that was the unibody-- it didn't say but I now I know the Unibody can handle at least that-- which is great.

Also, are there still those external display issues with the unibody as there were before? I got the DVI adapter and am getting a Samsung I think-- will this be fine/not cut out and whatnot?

Thanks again!

2. kenned macrumors member

2550*1600 with the Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter

3. mousouchop thread starter macrumors 6502a

mousouchop

Is that the same as the... Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter?

That is what I got... my package doesn't say "Dual-Link."
    I apologize for my ignorance. Haha. I have never really been much of a resolution/display fiend.

4. kenned macrumors member

5. tdgrn macrumors 6502

No, its not the same. What you have will push a monitor that has a resolution of 1920*1200, more than likely a 24".
    The only monitors that I know of that have higher resolutions are the 30" LCDs

6. mousouchop thread starter macrumors 6502a

mousouchop

Whoa. Thank you for that haha. I will indeed not be needing a 30" monitor, so I am perfectly at ease without that. haha.

7. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502

im using my unibody 2.4ghz with the regular mini displayport to DVI on my 23 inch samsung monitor running 2048 by 1152 resolution. its working perfectly fine.

8. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

That's most likely because while your resolution is wider, it has less vertical lines, and I believe the number of vertical lines tends to dictate which resolutions will work moreso than the horizontal resolution.

9. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

Don't Samsung monitors have the most issues regarding the MacBook issues? At least, I'm seeing those on the Apple Store the most.

10. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Samsung LCD-TVs with the mini-DisplayPort-->VGA adapters are a massive problem.

11. andrew upstairs macrumors 6502

Glad I read this thread. I was thinking about getting one. :eek:

12. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Yeah, if you can, most definitely go with miniDP-->DVI-->HDMI, or wait for the monoprice and go mDP-->HDMI.

The other disadvantage of Samsung LCD-TVs with VGA, is that most of'em are limited to 1366x768 over VGA, whereas with HDMI, its a beautiful 1080i/p resolution output.

13. ozt1ks macrumors newbie

Native resolution not available?

So, does anyone know if I'd get higher resolution from a MDP -> DVI compared to MDP -> HDMI?

I'm using a Unibody MB (late 2008/early 2009) and outputting video via MDP -> HDMI to a HP 2159m 21.5" HD LCD and only getting 1600 x 900, not getting the native resolution of 1920 x 1080... Anyone know why? Or how I can fix it?

14. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

For the resolution range you're looking at, DVI will be the same as HDMI. It's only above 1080p resolutions that DVI will allow higher resolutions than the current spec HDMI (<1.4 spec).