Max Payne/Max Payne 2 thread

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by kabunaru, Jun 20, 2008.

1. kabunaru Guest

I have the first Max Payne game and I like it. Is the 2nd one good and worth getting? For those who played both, which one did you like better and why?
    Thank you.

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I couldn't bring myself to play through Max Payne 2. I felt the story was leaps better in 1 and was a much more original and fun title. Could have been an expansion pack.

If you wanted more of the same from Max Payne 1 and can look through the weaker story in 2 then go for it.

3. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Max Payne 2 is awesome. It's a lot more action-y than the first one. The story while not as good as the first, is still pretty good. Plus, matrix mod... oh yeah... matrix mod. There is this other one that unloads bullets at such a rate that you can juggle the enemies in the air in bullet time. So awesome.... The only problem is it doesn't have widescreen support.

4. kabunaru thread starter Guest

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

The Matrix mod (if the same as the first one) was pretty ace. A little OTT to play through the game with, in the first Max Payne it would play the lobby shootout music (40mb download on a 56k modem! ouch) which got annoying, there's a similar mod called Apple Core or something that gave unlimited and slower bullet time with unlimited ammo.

6. kabunaru thread starter Guest

I have a feeling Max Payne 2 is more Matrix-like and more "un-original".
    I will try to get it and play it anyway. :)

7. hubristol macrumors regular

hubristol

Definitely. It was one of my favorite games on my old Xbox.

Whether the story is better than MP1 is debatable, but the gameplay and graphics are far and away better IMO.

8. kabunaru thread starter Guest

What would you say is a better gun in Max Payne 2? M4 Carbine or Kalashnikov?
    Just wondering...:)

9. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

M4 from my memory. That was an awesome game for pc.

10. hubristol macrumors regular

hubristol

Haha, I had to google image the guns because it's been so long since I played the game and i couldn't remember what they looked like.

I was more partial to the Carbine, but I think I tend to base the gun i prefer moreso on which one is less common (and presumably more powerful as a result).

11. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I loved the Max Payne series....it was cool for its time. I hated the dream level in the first game...it took me a while to pass it.

Bless

12. kabunaru thread starter Guest

Well, I played Max Payne 2 and it was fine but I liked Max Payne 1 better. Sure, Max Payne 2 has improved graphics and physics but I liked the game-play of Max Payne 1 better.

Yes, I dislike those dream levels in Max Payne 1. In my honest opinion, the dream levels should not have been there. Waste of time those levels are. :)

My favourite gun in Max Payne 1:
    Colt Commando

My favourite gun in Max Payne 2:
    M4 Carbine

I just cannot get enough of Max Payne. :) Besides Mercenaries and Max Payne 2, it's pretty much the only shooting game I play.
    Max Payne is really one of the best PS2 games available. :)