Max ram for a MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Luis Ortega, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Luis Ortega macrumors 6502a

I was reading that the MBP can take more than 4 gb ram. Is this true?
    I have a 2007 SR MBP with 4 gb ram. Is it possible to put in 4 gb module and a 2 gb module to make 6 gb, or maybe 2 x 4 gb modules to make 8 gb?
    If this is possible, will Snow Leopard improve the ability of the computer to use more ram or more cores?
    Thanks for any advice.

2. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

There was a massive thread about this with 1000s of replys. Never read it but something along the lines of can take 8GB but 6GB is better?

Have a search see what you can find... if not try google!

3. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

Your macbook pro can take 2x2GB DDR2 memory, and that's all. Snow Leopard will not change this, its a hardware restriction. Leopard can address at least 32GB in a mac pro tower, its not a software issue as to how much ram you can put in your mac.

4. ACiB708 macrumors regular

I've read in crucial.com website that the maximum amount for the MBP is 4GB (this generation, or the previous 3 ones) the only difference is that the new one carries DDR3.

As for the Snow Leopard thing, no it will not change that fact. The improvements that 10.6 will have are performance-wise.

Based on the Open-CL standard Snow Leopard will be able to use the GPU as another CPU, so if your Mac has a powerful graphics card, you will get a great performance boost.

5. svndmvn Guest

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=573906

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You can go up to 6GB of RAM.

I'm selling mine if you're curious (cheap!)

7. milamber macrumors regular

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yes. That's what was said.

9. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

I thought this chipset only supported 4... I know that 6 will be recognized, but can it all be used?

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It's 64-bit. 4GB isn't even the beginning of the end.

Apple's built in a barrier on getting 8GB to work (I'd say, "At all," but it'll work for about two minutes before it crashes), but 6GB is fine.

11. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

12. bengal85 macrumors regular

bengal85

13. dal20402 macrumors 6502

This is wrong. Apple will only support 4 GB, but Santa Rosa MacBook Pros work fine with 6 GB. I have one, equipped with 6 GB. It recognizes and uses all 6 GB without any issues. It's a big help when running multiple OSes at once.

I have never tried it, but numerous users have reported incorrect operation with 8 GB installed both on SR and Unibody MBPs. Apparently, if you have 8 GB installed, the system will slow to a crawl once you use more than 4 GB.