Max Ram for Penryn Macbooks-4 or 6GB

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by chan2004, Aug 12, 2009.

1. chan2004 macrumors regular

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. chan2004 thread starter macrumors regular

:confused:

If I install 2 * 3GB cards, will i get the maximmum performance of the card or just a minor improvement from 2 * 2GB Cards?

I searched the forum for this topic, but couldn't find any topic relating to this.
    Has anyone tried the 2 * 3GB option?

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You'd be installing 4 GB + 2 GB to get your 6 GB.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=573906

5. chan2004 thread starter macrumors regular

6. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

There is no 3GB chips (or at least they are very rare). You have to buy 2GB + 4GB.

8. chan2004 thread starter macrumors regular

one more question

I have selected a Ram

Product Number: KVR667D2S5/2G
    Description: Kingston ValueRAM 2GB DDR2-667 SODIMM
    Dimensions: 2GB
    Speed: DDR2-667 (PC-5300)
    Timing: CL5
    Buffer: unbuffered
    Pin: 200-pin

Will this be compatabile with my peryn MB?:confused:

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It should be but Macs are picky with RAM so I would buy from Crucial or OWC, you can't get wrong one if you buy from them

10. socamx macrumors 6502

In all my years of using Macs, I have never run into one where I had to buy specifically 'made for mac' ram. Just match up the specifications correctly, run memtest86 if you're paranoid and you are good to go. Memory is just as generic as CD rom drives, hard drives and so on. It isn't like video cards or PCI cards.

I purchase generic 'PC' ram all the time for my Macs and not once had a problem. I've saved hundreds over the years because of that.

11. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

The unfortunate reality is that there are many chips that have the "correct" specifications, but when you install them the computer won't even boot. In particular, the current 9400m-based Macs are especially prone to such problems.

12. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Sorry, socamx, but Cave Man is right. It happened to me just last week. I bought a 4gb kit from Fry's for the MBPro in my signature line and it didn't work. I bought Corsair (Value Select) ram with the right specifications, but the machine would not turn on. I just got the loud "you've jacked up your ram" beep when I tried to start the machine. I did a little research and went back to Fry's for a different type. It turns out Corsair makes their "Value Select" line for PC only and do not guarantee it's usability in macs. They do make a separate line of memory that is guaranteed to be mac compatible and it's a little more expensive. What's the exact difference? I don't know, but I'd encourage everyone to double check before they buy and make sure that you have the option to return what you buy in the event that it doesn't work.

To the op, everymac.com will tell you the supported and unsupported ram configurations for every mac on their website. 4gb single sticks are still expensive $100+ and you will get really good performance from 4gb in a matched set (2 x 2gb). So, unless you are just doing some major heavy tasks I wouldn't go for the 6gb at this point. I do photo and video stuff on the machines in my signature line and 4gb is plenty.