Max RAM in 2012 13" MBP ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mjoshi123, Aug 1, 2012.

1. mjoshi123 macrumors 6502

mjoshi123

As per Apple.com specs it shows there are only two slots in 2012 13" MBP and each slot can take 4GB RAM module so it should be 8GB RAM. As per Crucial it says there are 8GBx2 = 16GB RAM module available for 2012 13" MBP. So which one is correct ?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

16GB. You can find specs on all Apple products, including maximum RAM:

3. mjoshi123 thread starter macrumors 6502

mjoshi123

Thanks

4. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

Besides the usual conspiracy theories or corporate evil, what possible reason would Apple have in under-reporting the amount of RAM their machines are capable of addressing?

Does anyone have insight into this?

I know if I had a product out there, I would tout it's maximum capabilities to the public, to show just how strong and capable the product was. Hmmmm. :confused:

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Apple has historically understated maximum RAM capacity. Why isn't clear, as those models that use the full capacity have no problems at all with the increased RAM.

6. biohead macrumors 6502

Chances are it will accept 32GB but until the 16gb sticks come down in price I doubt anyone will be buying that much.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, the max is 16GB, regardless of RAM prices. Other Mac models support up to 32GB and more, but not the MBP.

8. mjoshi123, Aug 2, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2012

mjoshi123 thread starter macrumors 6502

mjoshi123

9. biohead macrumors 6502

Until someone has tried 2 x 16Gb sticks, no one is certain whether they will or will not work in the 2012 MBPs. Ivy bridge can cope with 32Gb ram, so unless Apple has gimped them, it's a case of never-say-never in my eyes. If someone has paid for 16gb sticks now and confirmed it doesn't work then so be it.

We all remember the aluminium MacBook only "supporting" 4Gb ram.

10. klmaj macrumors member

Further to this, I have a 13" 2012 Macbook pro and I'm in the market to MAX out my RAM with the fastest/best RAM possible. I've had a look at OWC at macsales.com already, Can the house give me some alternative recommendations to ponder? Thanks

11. filmak macrumors 6502a

Isn't Ivy Bridge capable of handling 32Gb? Because intel's opinion is that it is.
    So the only reason for not being capable is a firmware restriction from Apple (which , if exists, it can be also be removed by a fw upgrade in the future). Do you have any specific info you can share?

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

See the links in my first post.

13. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

In a general case, I suspect it has to do with not offering the upgrade as an option. If they reported a higher possible RAM than was available to order, they might be concerned about people getting the idea that it is possible to buy RAM elsewhere. Also, I'm sure it's not too fun having to answer the questions that come in relating to the differences between theoretical limits and purchasable limits.