Max RAM in G5.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Quad 2.5 G5 =), Apr 30, 2009.

1. Quad 2.5 G5 =) macrumors 6502

Is there a way to put 32GB of memory in a PM G5 Quad?
    I don't have enough money for a mac pro, and I am just curious if that were possible.
    Also, is the card that I have in mine (Quadro FX 4500) the best card available for the PowerMacs?
    One more question... does anybody see a realistic speed difference between the 16x Superdrive and the new 18x in the Nehalem MPs?
    I would like to keep my powermac for as long as possible (even though its outdated) and put the best upgrades available in it.

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

G5 Quads have a maximum memory capacity of 16GB. Unless you have a good reason for needing more RAM than that, I don't know what to tell you.

The Quadro FX 4500 was the best (and I believe only) workstation-class graphics card for PCIe-based G5s. It's a very capable card for development-class OpenGL-based work (its drivers are highly optimized for this), but consumer cards tend to be faster at just about everything else.

If you're a gamer, the Radeon X1900 XT (the G5-specific version) is the fastest consumer card available for that machine. But being a Mac-specific card, it's pricey (over $300).

As for the SuperDrive, I wouldn't bother upgrading it for the marginal difference in performance.

3. Quad 2.5 G5 =) thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't really need more RAM, as I already have the max in it, but I was just curious.
    I use Virtual PC on it and that sucks up a lot of RAM. How much VRAM does the X1900 XT have 256 or 512MB?
    I do have a 2.4 Alu MB for Windows and the G5 is slower at Virtual Windows, but I do use it sometimes.
    Also do you have any idea if double the RAM at half the speed=RAM at 2x speed?
    for example your MP. 8GB RAM @ 1066MHz=16GB RAM @ 533MHz

4. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

The Mac-specific X1900 XT has 256MB of VRAM, but it would still be a better performer in most applications than the Quadro FX 4500 would. Unless you're doing CAD or 3D modeling, the Quadro would show you no real benefit.

I'm not sure if I completely understand your question about the memory.

5. Quad 2.5 G5 =) thread starter macrumors 6502

I will have to look into the Graphics card.
    I meant that, theoretically, if I could put in the amount of memory that you have, 8GB of 1066 MHz RAM, it would equal the power of the memory that I currently have now (16GB RAM at 533MHz)

6. NoNameBrand macrumors 6502

Your liquid cooled PowerMac is going to leak sooner or later. I'd just use it as long as you're able to, as it is now, then replace it when it dies/stops meeting your needs.

7. Quad 2.5 G5 =) thread starter macrumors 6502

That is the plan...
    I would replace it right now if I could get enough money for it, and it has been going good for 2.6 years.
    I don't do anything like photoshop or anything heavy duty on it, so it will probably die before it is too slow for me.
    Is there some way that I can get an extension on AppleCare?
    Do you know if there was some way to de-clock the processors and then shut off the LCS?