Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chris98vf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
I'm looking to buy a new Macbook in the coming weeks and have noticed that you can get a total of 16GB (2x8GB) from crucial.com however Apple's own site only listed a max of 8GB. Is it possible to upgrade to 16 and Apple just doesn't want to offer it for some reason or has Crucial made a mistake?
If anyone has upgraded to 16GB please let me know...

Thanks in advance!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
You can find specs on all Apple products, including maximum RAM:
  • By visiting EveryMac.com
  • By using Mactracker
  • By entering your serial number here to find specs for your model. (Be aware that some models can use more RAM than Apple shows. Check EveryMac or MacTracker to verify.)

chris98vf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
----------

[/COLOR]
You can find specs on all Apple products, including maximum RAM:
  • By visiting EveryMac.com
  • By using Mactracker
  • By entering your serial number here to find specs for your model. (Be aware that some models can use more RAM than Apple shows. Check EveryMac or MacTracker to verify.)

Copy/Pasted from the site:
*Apple officially supports a maximum of 8 GB of RAM, but third-parties have determined that this model actually is capable of using up to 16 GB of RAM with two 8 GB memory modules.

Why the hell would Apple not offer 16GB? Considering these are used for high end graphics I would think they would want to show a beefier capability.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Why the hell would Apple not offer 16GB? Considering these are used for high end graphics I would think they would want to show a beefier capability.
It's a common practice with some Apple models. Some earlier Mac models showed a max of 2GB, when 3 or 4GB was possible.

zaxdude

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2011

That's a question you should pose to Apple. Send them an email -- they'll reply with something. Give Tim Cook a try too....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.