Max RAM in Vista (32 bit) Boot Camp?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by powz, Jul 11, 2008.

1. powz macrumors regular

I have a Santa Rosa MBP and I'm thinking of upgrading to 4 GB of RAM. What's the max amount of RAM that I'll be able to use under Vista (32 bit) in Boot Camp? I know the usual number for Vista (32 bit) is about 3-3.5 GB, but I've read that some Macs may be able to use even less under Boot Camp (http://guides.macrumors.com/Understanding_Intel_Mac_RAM).

Also, if anyone can recommend good RAM for the MBP, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

2. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

the most any 32bit OS can address is roughly 3.3GB so I would reccomend getting the 4GB and you'll be able to use it all in OS X and most of it in Vista and then you'll get the (slight) advantages of dual channel.

3. gr8bob macrumors regular

I have Windows XP SP3 installed on my Boot Camp partition, Early 2008 MBP with 4GB RAM.. System Properties shows 2.98GB or something like that..:confused:

Leopard sees all 4GB though..

4. powz thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your replies. gr8bob, yours is a Penryn MBP, which is newer than my Santa Rosa machine. This is the part of the Macrumors article that worries me:

By not mentioning the other MBP's (e.g. Santa Rosa), it kind of implies that they may see less than 3 GB. I'm just wondering what people's real experiences have been with the Santa Rosa MBPs and 4GB of installed RAM under Vista 32 bit.

5. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

No 32bit OS can address 4GB of ram, it's physically impossible. There's not enough memory address available!

6. gr8bob macrumors regular

I had a Late 2007 2.2GHz Santa Rosa model too and it sees the same amount of RAM as my current Early 2008 model.

7. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

As stated in above posts you might as well get 4GB because of the efficiency boost from dual channel mode and Mac OS X can still utilize it.

Anyways if you are so concerned about Vista 32bit addressing ~3GB why not get Vista 64bit? If you have not purchased yet then get a cheap OEM copy through newegg.com

Good Memory

8. powz thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the replies.

I probably wasn't clear enough, but a lot of you seem to be missing the point of my post. I KNEW that Vista 32 bit cannot address 4 GB of memory. However, the article I quoted states that due to a unique combination of EFI/Firmware on certain Macs, you may get even LESS than you would normally under Vista 32 bit on a PC. I was just checking whether this was the case with the Santa Rosa MBPs.

But gr8bob's post has addressed my question. Thanks, I think I'll be upgrading to 4 GB soon.

Thanks also for the link to NewEgg. I forgot to mention I'm in Canada, and unfortunately NewEgg doesn't ship here :(

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes it's around 3GB; I have Vista x64 and it supports all 4GB...

10. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Here's a explanation for all those NON BELIEVERS,
    as to why 32BIT Windows Vista/XP Home/Pro
    can't support and utilises all 4GB of your system ram.

Some other dude's blog
    - if you think the above is too complicated...
    http://lamiavitaintrycatch.wordpres...ws-xpvista-32-bit-and-4gb-ram-problem-part-1/