Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hornnumb2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2010
Forgive me if this is a stupid question but I am new to owning a mac, I just bought a 1.67 17" powerbook and was wondering what the max specs are for it? Max size harddrive, ram, os that it will support. Thanks Michael

moel

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2007
Sorry....powerbook?!? As in you just bought a powerpc machine.....

I believe it'll be either 2 or 4gb of RAM, HD as big as you like as long as it's IDE 2.5" and the last OS you can put on it is 10.5.9

Bad choice of purchase in my opinion....you've basically bought an obsolete machine in a phase of life where apps either are being or already have been translated to intel only rather than 'universal' with the introduction of snow leopard and true 64 bit computing :s

Sorry :(

LastZion

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2006

I believe it'll be either 2 or 4gb of RAM, HD as big as you like as long as it's IDE 2.5" and the last OS you can put on it is 10.5.9

Bad choice of purchase in my opinion....you've basically bought an obsolete machine in a phase of life where apps either are being or already have been translated to intel only rather than 'universal' with the introduction of snow leopard and true 64 bit computing :s

Maybe he got it for real cheap, not a bad machine for cheap to watch movies on check email... etc

moel

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2007
If he paid more than $600 or £250 he got diddled in my humble opinion!

Hornnumb2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2010

Sorry but everybody can't go spend $2000 on the latest mac, this will be my first and not sure if I will any like the os. Michael

moel

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2007
No thats fair enough...but feel it's only fair you should be aware that you've bought a machine that has maybe a year or so's life in it.

It's still fine for doing every day tasks on it, just don't expect the latest versions of Final cut studio to run on it.

(and also expect flash to be cripplingly slow in a year or so's time)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.