Max video settings for iphone+viewing on laptop

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by bigpatky, Nov 16, 2009.

1. bigpatky macrumors regular

bigpatky

i'm trying to rip movies to play on my iphone 3gs but I would also like to watch them in fullscreen mode on my 15" mbp. I've noticed when I use the handbrake iphone preset, it looks fine on my iphone, but crappy in fullscreen on the laptop. Movies that came with a digital copy, look fine on the phone AND fine in fullscreen on the laptop.

Here's my question- when i'm ripping using handbrake, what is the highest resolution/bitrate/fps I can use so I have one copy that looks fine on the computer in fullscreen but also is compatible with my iphone?

2. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

Check the video playback section. :)

3. bigpatky thread starter macrumors regular

bigpatky

here's the problem, it says 640 by 480 pixels. i check my copy of Bolt which looks great on the iphone and mbp at fullscreen and quicktime says (view:actual size) 853x480. Does this mean that the width can be higher than 640, but the height maxes out at 480? In handbrake picture settings, while keeping the aspect ratio the same, bringing the width down to 640, the height is well under 480. Should I just make sure the height is no more than 480 and whatever the width is, i'm good?

4. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

If it's worked before, I'd say that's a good assumption. :)

Strange tho since my Handbrake rips scale down my movies to less than 640 wide and my height sometimes is 240 or 320, etc. But heck, if yours is getting better widths greater than 640 by just keeping the height less than 480, this is good news. :)

5. bigpatky thread starter macrumors regular

bigpatky

i just started out with the iphone preset and adjusted the resolution to 720x480 (source for The Incredibles dvd) and 1500 bitrate. Synced and played just fine on iphone. looks as good as the dvd on my computer. I'm upping the bitrate to 2000 with Toy Story right now. We'll see how that goes.

6. rodman109110 macrumors 6502

the 853x480 resolution will play fine on your iphone or ipod. its just how handbrake does anamorphic widescreen.

if you want chapters to show up in itunes, use the .m4v extension.

i use a custom preset that is set as my default so that all my movies turn out the same. the files size can get up to 3.75GB for movies like "the curious case of benjamin button" which is like 3 hours long. so if you want a small file size keep the bitrate down between 1500 and 2000.

the screen shows what my settings look like on the main hb screen

Attached Files:

• hb.png
      hb.png
      File size:
      148.4 KB
      Views: