Max write speed of Canon XS

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by duncanapple, Dec 11, 2008.

1. duncanapple macrumors 6502

Hi all,

My new Canon Rebel XS is due to arrive today and I want to get a new SD card for it asap (I have a regular 1gb card from my P&S in the mean time).

I am looking at SanDisk, the Ultra II and Ultra III. Seems the difference is 15mb/sec vs 30. My question is, should I spend the money on the 30, or does the camera itself run into bottlenecks to where I wouldn't get the benefit of the extra speed the Ultra III offers? The ultra III is about 2x the price. I don't mind spending the money IF it gets me something (plus I have a family member who works at best buy, so it should be a lot cheaper) but why waste the money if the camera wont write any faster b/c of it?

Thanks in advance for the help!

2. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

Because your computer should read faster because of it?

3. duncanapple thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah yeah, thats a good point (assuming USB 2.0 isnt a bottleneck) I didn't even think about downloading those images to my mac. And if I had an 8gb card full of RAW images, that speed bump may be a big deal huh?

Thanks -

4. romanaz macrumors regular

romanaz

I got the xsi and I'm using an 8gb Kingston class 6 card (theoretically same speed as extreme III? Afaik) and it was same speed in raw and jpg in burst mode from an ultra 2 and an extreme 3. IMO get an ultra 2 if u want. Good card. Kingston one seems good too and cheaper to boot.

5. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Unless you shoot a lot of raw files on continuous, the only advantages of faster cards are reviewing the pictures on camera and uploading them to the computer.

6. wheelhot macrumors 68020

Somehow I find uploading the pictures from the SLR to the computer is much faster then using a memory card hub to transfer the pics.