Max Yuryev's review is up (video people)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jackoatmon, Dec 2, 2016.

1. jackoatmon macrumors 6502a

jackoatmon

Finalllly a serious video person does the rundown.

This is the first in-depth 4k video editing review (objective + subjective metrics) that I've found.

2. jerryk macrumors 68040

Nice review. However, I wish he would have done more testing with Premier which is what we use.

3. leman macrumors G3

The quality of this review is miles over anything else I have seen so far! Excellent work.

4. poorcody macrumors 6502a

poorcody

+1 on the review. Good example of the difference between benchmark numbers and real-world performance.

Found it interesting that the heat generated and fan usage (and noise) are both measurably less when pushing the processor, so much so it could sustain higher clock speeds for much longer time compared to last year's model.

5. MH01 Suspended

MH01

I'm sorry guys, this is not a good review. The hint here is that in every single test or scenario he goes through the new MacBook Pro wins. I have the previous and new model in front of me and it's pros and cons all round, this review is all pros. Please watch again.....

6. lambertjohn macrumors 6502a

I agree completely. Not a good review. Very one-sided.

7. deliriumxy macrumors member

Pretty good review. Goes through several tests, and uses results to conclude that 2016 MBP is the better of the two. Very unbiased.

8. Phineasgage1848 macrumors newbie

Phineasgage1848

9. EndlessBuffoonery macrumors regular

EndlessBuffoonery

Yeah, everybody on MacRumors says the MacBook Pro is stupid and dumb. So if a review says the newer computer does well in any computing tasks then this goes against what the randoms of this website say so it's clearly wrong and biased. Sad.

10. MH01 Suspended

MH01

Can I ask what negatives he mentioned ? It's all positives, he ignores the blatant issues like MagSafe and battery .

The one thing he does do is selective tests to conclude the 2015 machine is much better.

That's just my opinion . If this review was one of the best ones , it does not reflect the 2015 refurb And new 2016 i bought to see which one I would keep....it's so close in fact it's 50/50.....it is really pros and cons each way . This review is blatant pros in my opinion .
    --- Post Merged, Dec 2, 2016 ---
    Have you watched it ? Can you honestly tell me that is unbiased ?

I got nothing to lose I just bought the 2015 and 2016 at the same time, deciding which to keep, the 2016 is not such a clear winner as show in this review. Sorry ....but testing both at the moment

11. leman macrumors G3

I don't think that your conclusion is accurate. First of all, he is very clear about the domain, which is video editing. Then, he is very clear about the fact that only Final Cut will exhibit noticeable performance improvements. Premiere in his tests shows almost no improvements, and he is very clear about that as well.

The reason why I think that its an excellent review is that the guy is very clear about the methodology and honestly reports both the result and the context of this result. In addition, he also performs long-running tests that evaluate sustained performance, something that I have missed so far in any other review.
    Maybe you should watch the video again? He states vey clearly that the new MBP has lower battery life in low-power usage scenarios. And MagSafe is far from being a 'blatant issue'. Personally, I prefer having a standard multi-purpose charging port that allows me to use a multitude of third-party solutions and arrangements to MagSafe.

12. deany macrumors 68030

deany

Thanks for posting video.
    Just two questions if someone can answer.

• when will we be at a stage that the fan doesn't kick in regardless of what is thrown at it?
    I bought a 2015 rMBP 13" I love it but when I bought it I thought 'goodbye heat' 'goodbye fan' although not too bad this has not happened.
    In Parallels the fan kicks in and the temp app does give me warning beeps that temp is too high....how high is too high?
    When can we expect a rMBP with no fan kicking in?, cool as a cucumber bullet proof.

• Also he seems like a nice chap and very knowledgeable but if video editing is his career why hasn't he got the large retina iMac as his daily driver?

thanks

13. Nick11Mac macrumors 6502

Nick11Mac

14. jackoatmon, Dec 2, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2016

jackoatmon thread starter macrumors 6502a

jackoatmon

Yuryev's reviews are hands down the best for video editing.

People complaining he's not talking about Magsafe or whatever, that's not at all what Yuryev does. He's all about one thing: high quality video editing performance. That's it. He doesn't cover anything unrelated to that one thing. The only reason he would mention something like dongles is because it relates to video editing.

You can conclude his opinions don't apply to you because you don't edit video, but you just can't say he's biased or inaccurate on that topic. He does the best, most in-depth reviews on the entire internet for this kind of task. Sites like Ars or The Verge or whatever just don't have the knowledge of video to do this kind of analysis.

Obviously his reviews lean toward FCPX when he's reviewing an OSX system, but that's natural since, well, it's multiple times faster than anything else.

15. MH01 Suspended

MH01

If you are a video editor, in which case this review is useful. I just find it difficult to accept reviews that are just pros.

Anyone video editors enjoy. It's just my opinion so happy to agree to disagree

16. enzo thecat macrumors 6502

enzo thecat

What a joke. His tests were pretty conclusive. That's not bias. And watch the video again. He did address and test the battery performance. His test demonstrated it was significantly better then the previous model.

17. EndlessBuffoonery macrumors regular

EndlessBuffoonery

I already said I agreed with you. The person had positive things to say about the MacBook Pro and as we all know from the input of the professional geniuses on MacRumors, only bad things can be said about the MacBook Pro.

Also yes I watched it and it didn't seem even slightly biased. For example, he admitted that the SD Card reader removal was a hassle for him but that pretending like the best/only way to connect other devices to your computer was to have a long train of adapters was silly. Buy some new cables. It's not that hard.

18. thesaint024 macrumors 65816

thesaint024

Nice review. If you don't think that was fair, not sure what is. Pros and cons. I appreciate how he tried to explain why things were faster or not, and just generally how the new CPU architecture works. People use these for different things, video editors really push many aspects of this machine. Everyone may not need what it does.

19. MH01 Suspended

MH01

i have both machines which I am testing, there is no significant between them, some tasks the new one does better, some tasks the old one. Battery wise the old one is significantly better. TB is personal preference, MagSafe is a significant step backwards, new screen better, new touch pad....dunno...too big, TB 3 backwards compatibility a big issue for some, new KB actually nicer than I expected, dongles step backwards, etc etc.

I bought both at the same time, so not like I have a vested interest to justify my purchase, the one I like more I will keep, the other is going back to apple.

You realise i could put together a series of tests of the 2015 model to show its better than the 2016...that would also be a biased review. Anyway, if you are a video editor and your software is the same as he has tested, this is a positive review for you, I've already concluded this. Myself not being a video editor using same tested software, I don't agree with his conclusion that the 2016 model is a much better machine beating the 2015 in everything...it's what this review says...

20. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

There's no point taking about MagSafe at the moment. If we want USB-C charging then we have to accept that it will take a few years for new version of MagSafe to appear that works with port charging. This isn't Apple's fault - the industry is moving towards reducing the number of cable types.

21. MH01 Suspended

MH01

i have both machines which I am testing, there is no significant between them, some tasks the new one does better, some tasks the old one. Battery wise the old one is significantly better. TB is personal preference, MagSafe is a significant step backwards, new screen better, new touch pad....dunno...too big, TB 3 backwards compatibility a big issue for some, new KB actually nicer than I expected, dongles step backwards, etc etc.

I bought both at the same time, so not like I have a vested interest to justify my purchase, the one I like more I will keep, the other is going back to apple.

You realise i could put together a series of tests of the 2015 model to show its better than the 2016...that would also be a biased review. Anyway, if you are a video editor and your software is the same as he has tested, this is a positive review for you, I've already concluded this. Myself not being a video editor using same tested software, I don't agree with his conclusion that the 2016 model is a much better machine beating the 2015 in everything...it's what this review says..

Basically I've run both machines doing intensive tests, the 2016 is about 5 degrees cooler but both are blasting fans, the 2015 has got much more aggressvie fans...which is not s bad thing, you want your fans to kick in to protect the components, the 2016 is a lot quieter and takes much longer now to spin fans up even when components are hot....you can follow many threads on the failing 460 chips, and cooling discussions...so a major Pro of this review could very well be it's major problem..cooling.

Trust me , I really don't care or have interest to demonstrate which is better to justify my purchase or loyalty, as I bought both...pros and cons at this stage. I wish my experience was like this review, conclusive win to the 2016....sorry that is not the reality. Though happy to be told I'm wrong by people who probably do not own either ...

22. deliriumxy macrumors member

What are you using your computers for? Would be interested to know which you are sending back as the 2015 is cheaper than the 2016 depending on the 2015 specs. Seems like pros and cons to both machines and not a definitive winner?

23. MH01 Suspended

MH01

Spot on. At this stage their is no definitive winner.

I use it for coding, video editing / video encoding / photography workflow / my day to day work machine also, and truth be told, the battery is my biggest concern, I really like the new machine, it's stunning, now prefer the keyboard, dongles are not a huge issue, the CPU is meh, the GPU a nice upgrade, TB a gimmick for me, the new Track pad actually is annoying as it's too big, all in all, first week in was going to return the 2015, though second week, with the novelty wearing off, among all the pros/cons.... battery is my biggest concern and another potential faulty GPU in a MacBook Pro....I've been through the 2011 broken GPU, takes ages for apple to admit fault, and by the time there is a repair program, I've sold the machine and had a bad experience. Battery may be the decider, though want to see how the reporters 460 issues pan out.

I've got both machines till 8th January so taking my time to decide which one is right. Sticking with apple either way

24. H2SO4 macrumors 68040

Didn’t watch the whole video as I got bored but did he say exactly which model of each he was testing? A side by side screen shot of the specs would have been good?