Maxed 27" 2012 iMac or Maxed 15" MBPretina

Discussion in 'iMac' started by PJ-Graphix, Oct 23, 2012.

1. PJ-Graphix macrumors newbie

So i bought a maxed out MBP w/retina display 13 days ago... meaning i am able to return it if i so wish and buy the iMac in its place as it falls within the Apple Store's return policy.

My question is should I bother? Is the new iMac model worth getting or should i stick with the MBPr for now?

I am in college. I use it for the Adobe line (Flash, Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign), and plan to use it for 2D animation/making games, maybe some video editing in the future, graphic design/illustration, etc.

I pretty much need a computer for the majority of the beginning of my life as a graphic artist/game designer. I dont want to have to buy a computer for a whiiiile.

What is my best option.. This will again fall under specs and Portability, etc. VS whatever the iMac offers.

2. TallManNY macrumors 601

TallManNY

No I don't see how the iMac desktops are competition for your laptop. You are a student and I assume you need to have a laptop in class and also in the library or other study locations other than your home/dorm. With what you have, you have something very nice with you in all locations.

That said I'd consider returning that MBPr just because really it is a very expensive computer for a student to have. Theft is an issue. Breaking it is an issue. Generally speaking you shouldn't own fragile portable stuff that you cant afford to replace fairly easily. At least not in college. If you can get insurance, get it. That's at least the minimum that I would do. AppleCare isn't enough because it might be you that spills the beer all over your laptop. And AppleCare doesn't cover you when it disappears in the library when you only turned around to talk to a friend for a minute.

But nothing about today's announcement would change my thinking very much on the MBPr.

3. PJ-Graphix thread starter macrumors newbie

well let me rephrase "i am in college"... I am in community college.... lol

I dont dorm i live on my own. I wont be spilling beer or drinks any time soon as a dont drink beer very often (once a month or so) and even less so in my room (i dont let liquids near my computer equipment). I only have 3 classes this semester, 1 a day, 5 days a week and do take in my laptop (although not necessary for the classroom as they have Mac Pros for everyone to use). I dont enter libraries, in fact i go straight home after class to get homework done or tend to my son (not much of a party life).

I knew it was expensive but i am at peace with the cost already, the point was to be current on technology and be able to kickstart some freelance work and start making game demos, hopefully having what i need for the next 5 years.

i was originally waiting for the imac but couldnt wait any longer so i caved and got the MBPr. I am very happy with the purchase itself and it has worked great for me, just wondering if the iMac would be better for me, and if it worth the "not having a computer for 2-3months" thing since shipping isnt until december...

4. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I think that a laptop is the way to go for college. If you had another less powerful laptop then an iMac at home might be a good addition, but if you're picking between one or the other then stick with the laptop.

5. Kashsystems macrumors 6502

Here is the best question I can ask you that may help you answer your question.

Do you need the mobility of your laptop?

Last year I had a choice to spend my money on an iMac or upgrade my old slow macbook. I choose the iMac because having a powerful mobile computer does not matter for me.

If i could only have one computer I would prefer a rmbp because of the mobility.

6. ajcadoo macrumors 6502

ajcadoo

Laptop. Even if you werent a student. Its a no brainer.

7. CultHero macrumors 6502

I asked the same question earlier with no responses. I run a small business from my home, but am at customer locations and remote sites four days a week. I currently work from an iPad and dropbox etc, but leaning towards the MB pro with Retina.

I want a computer that is top of the line right now as I intend to keep it for the next 5 years minimum. (My current iMac is from 2005 and my laptop is a Powerbook!).

That said, I want to make sure I can do all the things as efficiently on a MB as I could on a iMac. I plan on doing final cut stuff and lots of music and photo etc. Nothing commercial grade through. I am less concerned about speed and more concerned about durability.

Don't mean to hijack, but seems to beg the same question as OP.

8. TallManNY macrumors 601

TallManNY

Seems to me that the only advantage the iMac would have would be the bigger screen. And you can negate that advantage with an external monitor for about $400 (or a thousand if it must be Apple's). Create a docking station set up at home with external keyboard, mouse and monitor and you will have the best of both worlds.

Yes PJ, I jumped to the wrong conclusions about your school experience. As you describe it theft and damage seems less likely than I had thought.

9. karpich1 macrumors regular

Well, the maxed 27" iMac will have a MUCH better video card.

But... I don't know how much that will matter for you. I imagine video cards come into play with CAD and other animation type stuff, but I don't have the experience in actual visuals / workstation stuff to know for sure. Just on Database work / Development / Web Development / etc.

As a student, I found it MUCH more convenient to use a laptop. Bring it to the library, bring it to class, bring it to a common room if your roommate is "busy," etc.

For small business, laptops are also great. Bring it to a meeting for a presentation (or for taking notes). Bring it to a coworker's office to work on something together. etc.

Personally, for home use, I no longer need a solid laptop anymore. I hardly ever need to do anything away from my desk that an iPad can't take care of. So I'd rather have the iMac for performance and for having less clutter on the desk.

At some point I might get a low-end 13" in case my mobile needs become more. But most of my work/time would be behind the iMac.

10. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

It seems like you really don't need the portability of the laptop as you only go to be in class and don't do anything else on campus. You were gunning for the imac to begin with. The choice is pretty clear to me.