Maxed iMac Retina for Cinema 4D and After Effects

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Magic Lantern, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Magic Lantern macrumors newbie

Should be taking delivery of my 5k retina on Friday.

I am a motion designer who has always used Mac Pros - I have 2008 and 2010 8 cores and a 15" Retina MacBook Pro late 2013, fully maxed.

As much as I like the nMP, when the 5k iMac came out, I came to the conclusion that I might as well go for the iMac and use all four of my machines as a render farm when it comes to outputting work. With Cinema 4Ds Team Render feature, I see no compelling case to buy a nMP.

I can do the same for After Effects with Multi Machine rendering, get a bunch of machines all outputting frames.

I have no need of connecting 4 4k monitors etc.

Is there anything I am overlooking here? I figured I would just see how I got along with this set up and if there are any major issues, buy a nMP in the future. But to be honest, I have a feeling the 5k iMac will make the nMP even more of a niche machine than it already is.

I'd love to hear some opinions on this.

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Main issue

You cannot use the imac screen as a monitor for any other input. That is your main issue.

See here for details...

http://www.imore.com/retina-5k-imac-target-display-thunderbolt-display

3. Magic Lantern thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I wouldn't be doing that, I will work on the iMac and distribute to other machines for rendering, the other machines won't even be in the same room.

4. mdelrossi macrumors member

I use After Effects. I recently output a render that took 44 min on a 2008 MacPro 2.8 octo, the iMac 5k i7 did it in 12 min.
    The fan did come on full force and the temps did spike but the machine was able to handle it.

Enjoy your new machine. The screen is amazing.