Maxed Mini Server or MBP 15"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mickey1001PR, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Mickey1001PR macrumors newbie

I am halfway through my Computer Engineering degree. I work mostly with Eclipse, Xcode, Parallels (Windows 7), Firefox and iWork. I do occasional editing in Lightroom, for fun. I have a mid 2009 13" MBP (2.53 C2D, 4GB RAM). This computer is working perfectly but believe that I could benefit from the performance gains of a new Mac. With a budget of around $2000 I have two options for my purchase:

1) Mac Mini Server (2.0 Quad Core i7) $1855
    • 750GB 7200rpm HDD
    • 256GB SSD
    • 16GB RAM (Upgrade from OWC)
    • 24" Dell U2412M Monitor (Bought a month ago)
    With this option I would keep my MBP for ocassionally taking it to campus and when I travel. It would be replaced by a 11" MBA when it cannot take any more.

2)Macbook Pro 15" (2.2 Quad Core i7) $2200
    • High Resolution, Anti Glare Screen
    • 8GB RAM
    • 500GB 5400rpm HDD
    With this option I would sell my 13" MBP. I could use (when at my apartment) the 15" MBP screen together with the 24" Dell monitor.

What suggestions do you have for these options? Thanks for your help making this decision.

2. thunderboltspro macrumors regular

My vote would be mini but if you can wait couple months, chances are high it will get refreshed soon. I would suggest a usb dvd drive though if you need to use a drive for a reason.

I bought a mini(macmall.com) couple weeks ago and love it. Installed 8 gigs and a ssd drive. I use it more of a server then anything else.

3. imswimmin macrumors regular

Personally, I would go with the mac mini server set up. Although, I disagree with the above poster. I'd say go ahead and buy the current generation mac mini. The setup you've created would be lightning quick.

4. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Go MBP.

It is portable. Even if you don't use it in a portable manner very often, it IS nice to occasionally be able to work from the couch.

It has a battery, which means built-in UPS - no lost work due to power cuts (add that to the cost of the mini).

It has a built in screen - so you can run a multi-screen setup pretty easily with just another monitor (which you already have). It is faster. its GPU is way better. Its hard drive is more easily replaced. It also has a trackpad.

No syncing between two machines.

For the price difference, its a no brainer, imho - above is why I ruled out a mini...

5. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

Second vote for the MBP. The current MBP are great machines and it will serve you very well. Plus as the above poster stated that ability to go portable is really nice. You would do better to sell your current MBP to someone who just wants to get their feet wet in the OSX experience as once the refresh comes out your current MBP will probably lose some value. Pro all the way!

6. joshsage macrumors newbie

3rd for MBP. Portability is very much worth it.

7. Fandongo macrumors 6502

The Mini is certainly more portable... :D only, useless in its ported form.

It needs a tiny outdoor screen/battery pack.
    It'd be perfect for location stuff--dumping footage/photos, without burning tons of lithium to power the display.