Maxed out 13/11" Air vs base 13" rMPB?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by smurray, Oct 24, 2012.

1. smurray macrumors regular

Currently considering either getting a maxed out MacBook Air or a base model 13" rMPB. From a performance standpoint which will be better? I know the Air will have a 2.0Ghz i7 vs a 2.5Ghz i5, but I'm not sure how that translates into real world performance.

2. mac jones macrumors 68040

You forgot to mention money constraints, or lack of them.

3. xxcysxx macrumors 6502

higher price premium for the 13" retina is mostly in the screen. for what it cost for the base model you are not getting a lot in term of performance and productivity quality, and that fancy retina screen will get old very fast. but if you bump the cpu up a bit and bump the storage capacity up a bit then you have the cost of the base 15" retina that just simply outperform the 13" in in every way, except portability.

however, on the other hand:D, if you're spending someone else's money, then by all mean get the maxed out 13" in retina, though its still a cripple computer compare to its bigger brother, but hey, it ain't your money any way.

there are many enthusiast on this forum, and right now most are disappointed in what it has to offer rather than about what they are willing to pay.

4. smurray thread starter macrumors regular

I didn't forget, I just didn't think it applied to my question. A maxed out 11" air costs about the same as a base model rMBP. I'm not asking which is a better buy, just curious about the performance differences between the two models. The rMBP has a higher clock speed and it isn't a ULV processor, but the Air has whatever benefits come with it being an i7 vs an i5.

----------

Thanks for the insight. Definitely not spending someone else's money. Right now I'm leaning towards a maxed out 11" air and just gettin an external display to use at work.

5. markus843 macrumors regular

In my opinion you should just get the baseline 15" rMbp. It is only $100 more and bigger screen + better graphic card, and intel i7 processor

6. mac jones macrumors 68040

it's a bit early to make calls on these 13" retinas. I've had mine for a single day, but I wouldn't go back to using an Air, which I've owner before.

It's like i'm using a notebook with an iPad screen. It's pretty nice. You really get spoiled with this IPS thing Apple has gone all-out on.

In spite of the Hefty price tag, i'll bet they sell a lot of these. Just another premium Apple product.

Airs are nice, but after you use one of these they sort of look like a cheap alternate.(funny how just a few months ago THEY were the premium device :D )